1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining a confidence interval for data.

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have 20 data points of the surface roughness of oil pipes, the mean, and the std of the sample.

I need to get a 95% confidence interval of the mean surface roughness of these pipes. I did a boxplot, and found that it's negatively skewed, and therefore not normally distributed:

32234.jpg

Would using the t-table be OK? I'm usually used to doing this for data when it is normally distributed, I'm not too sure what to do when it's not normal.

This is what I did:

x ± t-val(s/√n)

Where the t-val is t19 and I looked up the t-table for the value. s = std and n = 20 and x is of course the mean.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2
    when the sample size is greater than 30 you can use the t-confidence interval even if the population is not normal.

4. Oct 22, 2012 #3
    several of my professors have said n=30 is a number that's been around for a while and is used as a rule of thumb, but you don't have to follow it super strictly. How skewed is the data? If it's not horribly skewed, if it's even vaguely bell-shaped, I'd imagine n=20 is acceptable. But please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still new at this.

5. Oct 22, 2012 #4
    I suppose n=20 is reasonable for using t-intervals

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook