Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining angular velocity radius and velocity of the center of rotation

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    Hey,

I am trying to solve the following problem:

va=vr+ ω × rra
    vb=vr+ ω ×(rra+rab)
    vc=vr+ ω × (rra+rac)

I know the vectors va, vb, vc, rab and rac and I want to know the angular velocity vector, the radius rra and the velocity vr. Physically it means that I know 3 points on a rigid body and I want to decompose their velocities in an angular and linear component by determing around which point they rotate.

So there are 9 equations and 9 unkowns. But if I try to solve this problem analytically I can not come to any answer. I also put it in MATLAB but this also gives weird results.
    My first attempt was subtracting the vectors which eventually gave me a solution for omega. But than I still could not solve the problem.

Does anyone know why this is the case? Is it something with the outer product which I don't understand? Are there infinite number of solution to this problem? Or do I just do something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated since I am already trying things for some days.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2
    Does it have something to do with the fact that the inverse of a cross product does not have an unique solution? So if for v= ω x r I would know v and ω than there are infinite solutions for r.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook