Determining Bond Length with Wavelengths

In summary, to calculate the bond length for the NaCl molecule, you can use the formula I = h*wavelength/4pi*speed of light, where I is the moment of inertia. The given wavelengths of 23.1 mm, 11.6 mm, and 7.71 mm can be used to find the moment of inertia and then calculate the bond length. Additionally, the allowed energy levels and transitions for a rotating diatomic molecule can be found by referring to http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/molecule/rotrig.html.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

Calculate the bond length for the NaCl molecule given that three successive wavelengths for rotational transitions are 23.1 mm, 11.6, mm and 7.71 mm.

Homework Equations

I = h*wavelength/4pi*speed of light.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how to incorporate the wavelengths.
But the thing is, I have three wavelengths, not one. Should I take the difference between the three?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is bond length?

Bond length refers to the distance between the nuclei of two bonded atoms. It is a measure of the strength of the bond between the atoms.

2. How is bond length determined with wavelengths?

Bond length can be determined by measuring the wavelengths of light absorbed by a molecule. Different bond lengths correspond to different energy levels and therefore different wavelengths of light.

3. What type of light is used to determine bond length?

Typically, infrared light is used to determine bond length. This is because the vibrations of the atoms in a molecule can be measured using infrared spectroscopy, which in turn can provide information about bond length.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of bond length determination using wavelengths?

The accuracy of bond length determination using wavelengths can be affected by factors such as the type of molecule, the temperature and pressure of the sample, and the concentration of the molecule.

5. What are some applications of determining bond length with wavelengths?

Determining bond length with wavelengths can be used in various fields such as chemistry, biochemistry, and materials science. It can help identify and characterize molecules, study chemical reactions, and design new materials with specific properties.