Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Determining dilated lifetime of muons.

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    The question provides momentum that the muons move with (3094 MeV/c) and proper lifetime (2.198 micro seconds) and asks to find the dilated lifetime.

2. t= to/((1-u^2/c^2)^1/2) and p=(mv)/((1-v^2/c^2)^1/2)

3. I think that I am supposed to use the momentum given to back order velocity then use that with the time dilation equation but I'm not sure what units I should use for the mass of the muon. I saw one with kg and one with MeV/c and I feel like I should use MeV/c but I'm not getting the units to work out and I'm just going no where right now. Any help would be nice. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you know γ, can you find the dilated lifetime? What equation relates relativistic momentum to γ? Since you are given the momentum, you can use that equation to find γ and then the dilated lifetime. Forget kilograms. If you use MeV/c units for the momentum and MeV/c2 units for the rest mass, the equation will work out fine.

4. Sep 13, 2010 #3
    OK thank you very much I'll work that out and see what I come out with.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook