1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining electric field at origin from semicircle charge

1. Oct 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A line of charge of uniform density ρl occupies a semicircle of radius b as shown in Fig. P4.10. Use the material presented in Example 4-4 to determine the electric field at the origin.

2. Relevant equations
    dE = kdQ/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm trying to understand the solution given in the solutions manual, here it is:

http://www.zmuda.ece.ufl.edu/Fields_1_Spring 2013/4-1.10.pdf

1. Why is the direction -r hat, rather than just r hat?
    2. Why is the enclosed charge Q stated as (pl)(b)? Shouldn't it be pl multiplied by the arc length of the half circle? I understand that I'm wrong and the solution is right, but I do not understand why the charge density would be multiplied by the radius.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2016 #2

olivermsun

Science Advisor

1. The electric field felt at the origin due to the charge ##dE## at position ##\hat{\mathbf{r}}## points from ##\hat{\mathbf{r}}## toward the origin. (Recall that a positive ##dE## would exert a repulsive force on a positive test charge at the origin.)

2. What is the arc length at radius ##b## that subtends the angle ##d\phi##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted