Determining how to find the 2-d hilbert space from fusing ising anyons

In summary, the conversation is about topological quantum computing, specifically the derivation and solving of the pentagon equation to evaluate the F matrices for ising anyons. The speaker is trying to determine which fusion paths can become a 2-D Hilbert space, and is seeking clarification on equation 1.6 which determines the dimension of a set of anyons based on the fusion rules. They also mention the importance of understanding the relationship between braiding and fusion in anyon computation.
Shinn497
Hello all,

I'm working through the following paper on topological quantum computing.

http://www.qip2010.ethz.ch/tutorialprogram/JiannisPachosLecture

In particular I'm trying to derive and solve the pentagon equation in order to evaluate the F matrices for ising anyons. One thing I'm trying to determine is how to determine, in general, which fusion paths can become a 2-d hilbert space. I understand that the fusion paths in figure 1.4a are analogues of the |0> |1>, and |+> |-> hilbert spaces but I don't get if there is a way to find any others...in general.

I think what would really help is equation 1.6, which determines the dimensional of of a set of anyons based on the fusion rules. BUT I'm not entirely sure how to read that equation. In particular I can't get how it is used to properly get the dimension of 3 σ anyons to be 2. I was able to prove it by drawing it out and doing the fusions but I couldn't use that one equation.

This is important because the pentagon identity is for 4 anyons. This means there are a 243 possible fusion paths. In the intermediate steps of the equation there are more. If there was a better way of determining which fusion paths are within the fusion rules that would be great.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I meant to say hilbert spaces in general they do not have to be 2-DSecondary question:

Why does braiding effect the fusion? This is the central idea to what makes quantum computation with anyons possible but I'm not getting it. I'll accept that anyons gain a phase when braided but I'm not sure how this phase effects the fusion outcome in general. In other words, can you explain figure 1.3?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe I found my answer.

1. What is a 2-d Hilbert space?

A 2-d Hilbert space is a mathematical concept that is used to describe the state of a system that can exist in multiple possible states. It is a vector space with a complex inner product that represents the possible states of a system and the probabilities of those states occurring.

2. How do you determine the 2-d Hilbert space from fusing ising anyons?

The 2-d Hilbert space can be determined by studying the fusion rules of ising anyons. These rules determine how anyons combine and fuse with each other, and can be used to construct a basis for the Hilbert space. This basis consists of all the possible states that the anyons can occupy, and the Hilbert space is spanned by these states.

3. What are ising anyons?

Ising anyons are anyons that obey the ising anyon model, which is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of certain particles in 2-d systems. They are anyons that have a non-abelian fusion rule, meaning that their fusion results in a state that is dependent on the order in which the anyons are fused.

4. How do you fuse ising anyons?

Fusing ising anyons involves combining two anyons in a specific way, according to the fusion rules of the ising anyon model. This process results in a new anyon or a combination of anyons, and the resulting state is dependent on the order in which the anyons were fused.

5. Why is it important to determine the 2-d Hilbert space from fusing ising anyons?

Determining the 2-d Hilbert space from fusing ising anyons is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and properties of these anyons in 2-d systems. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as topological quantum computing, where ising anyons are being studied as potential building blocks for quantum computers.