1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Limits for Multivariable Functions

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 2\\y\rightarrow 2}} f(x,y)=\frac{2x^2+2xy+2x-xy^2-y^3-y^2}{2x^3-2x^2y+2x-x^2y^2+xy^3-y^2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I tried using the line y = 2, and let x approach 2 (as well as making x=2 and let y approach 2), and nothing really seems to cancel when I do that.

I also tried converting everything to polar form and let r approach 2[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], but again, everything just looks really messy.

This is a previous year's test question, and it's not worth much marks, so I think I'm missing some trick/procedure to simplify this question.

Also, I think this does not have a limit because the degree of the top (3) is less than the degree of the bottom (4); however, I'm not sure of how to prove this.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "nothing really seems to cancel". You should get the indeterminate form, 0/0 .

Factoring the numerator gives [itex](x+y+1) (2 x-y^2)\,.[/itex]

Factoring the denominator gives [itex](x^2-x y+1) (2 x-y^2)\,.[/itex]

4. Oct 16, 2011 #3
    When I said "nothing seems to cancel", I just meant that the variables don't cancel out. For example, we can sometimes sub in y=mx^2, into a function to balance out the powers and allow the x to divide out, leaving a limit that changes depending on m.

Anyway, thank you very much for helping me regarding this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook