Determining # of Solutions for DEs

• Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date
In summary: If not, I'll have to give a crash course in linear algebra first.The concept of a linear vector space, also known as a linear space or a vector space, is a fundamental concept in linear algebra. It is a collection of objects that can be added together and multiplied by scalars (numbers) in a consistent way. These objects can be called vectors, and the scalars can be called scalars, but the names are not important. The important thing is that the operations of addition and scalar multiplication satisfy certain properties, known as the axioms of a vector space.One of the key properties is that the vectors in a vector space can be multiplied by any scalar, and the result is still a vector in the same space
MathewsMD
For a certain DE, how can we be certain how many solutions there are? Also, how can we determine the general set?

For example, for the linear, second order, homogeneous DE, you may have ay'' + by' + cy = 0 [1] and then the characteristic equation of the form ar^2 + br + c can be found, and thus the corresponding r values to yield the general solution of the form: c1y1 + c2y2 where y1 = e^(r1t) and y2 = e^(r2t). For this, you find the Wronskian, and if non-zero, then you know these solutions are independent. That's great. And if anything up to here is incorrect, please correct me.

But my question is: how are we CERTAIN c1y1 + c2y2 contains every possible solution to [1]? I understand this is a solution, but don't see why this encompasses every single solution. Likewise (I assume it is corollary), why does an nth order, linear, homogeneous DE have n terms in the general solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
For a certain DE, how can we be certain how many solutions there are? Also, how can we determine the general set?

For example, for the linear, second order, homogeneous DE, you may have ay'' + by' + cy = 0 [1] and then the characteristic equation of the form ar^2 + br + c can be found, and thus the corresponding r values to yield the general solution of the form: c1y1 + c2y2 where y1 = e^(r1t) and y2 = e^(r2t). For this, you find the Wronskian, and if non-zero, then you know these solutions are independent. That's great. And if anything up to here is incorrect, please correct me.

But my question is: how are we CERTAIN c1y1 + c2y2 contains every possible solution to [1]? I understand this is a solution, but don't see why this encompasses every single solution. Likewise (I assume it is corollary), why does an nth order, linear, homogeneous DE have n terms in the general solution?

The answer to this question gets into the theory of ordinary differential equations, especially dealing with the existence and uniqueness of solutions.

The number of solutions to an ODE is related to the order of the equation, since ODEs having an order greater than 1 can be reduced to a system of n first-order equations, where n is the order of the original equation. Since a first order equation has a single solution to within an additive constant, an n-th order equation can have at most n different solutions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordinary_differential_equation

At least, that's my understanding of the theory of ODEs.

To add to what SteamKing said, the order of a differential equation is equal to the dimension of the function space of solutions. First order ODE: dimension is 1; second order ODE: dimension is 2, and so on for third- and higher-order ODEs.

For second order ODEs, if you have two solutions that are linearly independent, they constitute a basis for the solution space; hence every solution is a linear combination of the two functions in the basis. IOW, if y1 and y2 are linearly independent solutions, then every solution of this ODE can be written as c1y1 + c2y2, for some constants c1 and c2.

The function space concept is nearly identical to the linear algebra concept of a vector space. In ##\mathbb{R}^2##, a two-dimensional vector space, if you have two linearly independent vectors, then those vectors form a basis for this space, and every vector in this space is some linear combination of the two basis vectors. It's pretty much the same for a two-dimensional function space, such as the space of solutions of a second order ODE.

Last edited:
Likes MathewsMD
The phrase "the dimension of the function space of solutions" applies only to linear differential equations. Sets of solutions to non-linear differential equations are not, in general, linear spaces and so have no "dimension".

HallsofIvy said:
The phrase "the dimension of the function space of solutions" applies only to linear differential equations. Sets of solutions to non-linear differential equations are not, in general, linear spaces and so have no "dimension".

Oh really? Do you mind expanding? It's all very interesting but if you could provide a bit of intuition behind why, that would be greatly appreciated!

Expand what? Do you know what "linear vector spaces" (Linear Algebra) are? Do know how to show that the set of all solutions to a "linear homogeneous differential equation" forms a vector space? If so you should be able to see why sets of solutions to non-linear differential equations do NOT form vector spaces.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a dependent variable to the values of one or more independent variables. It is commonly used to model physical and natural phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you determine the number of solutions for a differential equation?

The number of solutions for a differential equation depends on several factors, such as the type of equation, the initial conditions, and the boundary conditions. In general, a first-order differential equation will have one solution, while a second-order differential equation can have two solutions. However, there may be cases where a differential equation has no solution or an infinite number of solutions.

3. What is the difference between an explicit and implicit solution for a differential equation?

An explicit solution for a differential equation is one where the dependent variable is expressed explicitly in terms of the independent variables. On the other hand, an implicit solution is one where the dependent variable is not explicitly given, but rather is defined implicitly through the equation itself. Implicit solutions are often more difficult to find and require advanced techniques to solve.

4. Can a differential equation have an infinite number of solutions?

Yes, there are cases where a differential equation can have an infinite number of solutions. This can occur when the equation is not well-defined or when there are multiple solutions that satisfy the given initial and boundary conditions. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and the conditions to determine the number of solutions.

5. What are boundary conditions in a differential equation?

Boundary conditions are additional constraints that are specified along with the initial conditions in a differential equation. They define the behavior of the solution at the boundaries of the domain and help determine the uniqueness or number of solutions for the equation. Common types of boundary conditions include Dirichlet, Neumann, and Cauchy conditions.