Determining Spring Configuration in Modeling

In summary, the solution to this problem requires using a deformation compatability method to calculate the force delivered by the spring.
cmmcnamara

Homework Statement

Consider a simply supported beam with a block of mass m placed at the midspan and a spring with spring rate k placed between the beam and the ground at the midspan. Find the spring rate required to reduce the static deflection to one half its original value before the spring was added.

Homework Equations

F=kδ

(d^4δ/dx^4)EI=-w

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the general idea of going about the solution but I'm lost on some reasoning behind it. I realize there are two spring constants, one supplied by the beam's elasticity and another for the spring itself. However it is said that the "springs" are in parallel which I do not understand why this is the case as it appears to me that they would be in series? Could someone please explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do springs in series deflect equally? What about springs in parallel? What can you say about the beam deflection and spring deflection at midpoint?

I think that is why I am having a bit of trouble. To me the beam acts as a spring in the vertical direction but acts differently depending on the force configuration, but once a location is fixed its stiffness should be a fixed rate. What I think I should do is essentially replace the beam connected to the spring with another spring that has the spring rate of the beam's stiffness. Since the springs are connected end to end the springs are in series and the equivalent stiffness should be k=(1/k_beam+1/k_spring)^-1. However the solutions manual for this problem claims that the springs are in parallel which I don't understand at all.

cmmcnamara said:
I think that is why I am having a bit of trouble. To me the beam acts as a spring in the vertical direction but acts differently depending on the force configuration, but once a location is fixed its stiffness should be a fixed rate. What I think I should do is essentially replace the beam connected to the spring with another spring that has the spring rate of the beam's stiffness. Since the springs are connected end to end the springs are in series and the equivalent stiffness should be k=(1/k_beam+1/k_spring)^-1. However the solutions manual for this problem claims that the springs are in parallel which I don't understand at all.
I can see how you might conclude that the "springs" are in series, but they are not. When 2 springs of different stiffness constants 'k' are in series, they each carry the same load but each deflects by a different amount. As an example, consider 2 springs in series, subject to a hanging weight force of 10 N. One spring has a k value of 200 N/m and the other has a k value of 400 N/m. They each experience 10 N of force. Since per Hookes Law F=kx, spring one deflects 0.05 m and spring 2 deflects 0.025 m. The total deflection is 0.075 m, and the equivalent stiffness per your formula is k=133, which is consistent with total deflection = 10/133 = 0.075 m, but the important thing to note is that the deflections of each springs are different.
Now look at the problem at hand with a spring support at midspan. When the beam is now loaded, both the beam and the spring will each deflect the same amount at midspan. They are effectively connected together at their "top" in parallel, not 'end to top' if they were in series.
Anyway, the problem as you likely know is statically indeterminate to the first degree, and you must use the deformation compatability method to calculate the force delivered by the spring.

Ahhh now I see why you were asking about the deflections. I guess I didn't realize it wasn't on the basis of physical arrangement rather than the behavior of the deflection. That makes a lot more sense now. I really appreciate your help thank you!

1. How do you determine the spring configuration in modeling?

To determine the spring configuration in modeling, you need to consider the properties of the spring such as its length, elasticity, and stiffness. You also need to take into account the forces acting on the spring and the desired outcome. By using mathematical equations and simulations, you can determine the optimal spring configuration for your model.

2. Can you explain the concept of spring configuration?

Spring configuration refers to the arrangement of a spring in a mechanical system. It includes the length, diameter, and number of coils of the spring, as well as its orientation and position in relation to other components. The spring configuration is essential in determining the behavior and performance of a system.

3. What factors should be considered when determining spring configuration?

When determining spring configuration, you should consider the type of material, the amount of force applied, the frequency of movement, and the desired outcome. Other factors such as temperature, weight, and environmental conditions may also affect the spring configuration.

4. How does the spring configuration affect the overall performance of a system?

The spring configuration can greatly influence the performance of a system. A well-designed spring configuration can provide the desired amount of resistance, stability, and movement, leading to optimal performance. On the other hand, a poorly configured spring can result in system failure or inefficiency.

5. What tools or techniques can be used to determine spring configuration?

There are various tools and techniques that can be used to determine spring configuration, such as mathematical equations, computer simulations, and physical prototypes. Engineers and scientists may also use testing equipment, such as force gauges and strain gauges, to measure the behavior of a spring and make adjustments to its configuration accordingly.