Determining the Direction and Speed of a Bee's Flight

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
alksjadf
Messages
36
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


While you are standing still you hear the frequency of the wings of a bee as 245 Hz when the bee is moving through the air. If the bee is hovering, the frequency produced is 251 Hz. Is the bee flying toward or away from you? How fast is the bee flying?


Homework Equations



Not sure. I think:

[1/(1+ (u/v))]f

The Attempt at a Solution



For part 1 I put away from you and for part 2 I put .0163 m/s which I think is wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show more details of your calculation? What value are you using for the speed of sound?
 
You should be getting a higher velocity for the bee. Can you show how you got the 0.0163 m/s? I think you are just going wrong in the algebra somewhere.
 
Oh, I think I know where i messed up. Should it be 5.632
 
It's a bee how fast can it go?

I got the same thing again.
 
You are using the numbers you originally posted, right? If so, I don't see how you got 5.6 m/s.