1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the electric potential at a distance

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The electric potential of a very large isolated flat metal plate is 2000 V. The plate carries a uniform distribution of charge with surface density σ=1 μC/m2. Determine potential V at a distance x=1 cm from the plate. Assume that point x is far from the edges and that x is much smaller than the size of the plate.

2. Relevant equations

To find the magnitude of the electric field I know I have to use: |E|=σ/2ϵ0

3. The attempt at a solution

I'll be honest I have no clue how to solve this problem, any pointers in the right direction would greatly help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

Well, you've got E, and they are asking for potential, so what equation do you know which connects E and V ?

4. Sep 29, 2012 #3
    Would I be wrong in stating that since it's a very large plate with uniform charge density, it isn't a point charge. The formula that I have that links those two informations are:

ΔV = -∫Eds, and since the electric field is constant,

ΔV = -Es

ΔV = -σ/2ϵ0 times s

ΔV = -((1 μC/m2)/(2ε0)) times 0.01m

It seems like it's too simple solving like that, I feel like I'm missing something

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  5. Sep 29, 2012 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

That is the right answer. The question was more simple than you thought. The final step is to use the initial V and change in V to get the V 1cm away.

6. Sep 29, 2012 #5
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that last reply

If I read it right: The answer gives me ΔV, and I have VA, I want VB, right?

So I should do: ΔV = VB - VA ==> ΔV (That I found) = VB - 2000V

So ΔV + 2000V = VB (the volt at 1cm away)?

7. Sep 29, 2012 #6

BruceW

Homework Helper

yes, that's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook