Determining the electric potential at a distance

In summary, the electric potential of a very large isolated flat metal plate with a uniform charge density of 1 μC/m2 is 2000 V. To find the potential at a distance of 1 cm from the plate, we can use the formula ΔV = -Es, where E is the electric field and s is the distance. Plugging in the given values, we get a change in potential of -((1 μC/m2)/(2ε0)) * 0.01m, which is equal to the potential at 1 cm away added to 2000 V. Therefore, the potential at 1 cm away from the plate is 2000 V minus the change in potential.
Parad0x88

Homework Statement

The electric potential of a very large isolated flat metal plate is 2000 V. The plate carries a uniform distribution of charge with surface density σ=1 μC/m2. Determine potential V at a distance x=1 cm from the plate. Assume that point x is far from the edges and that x is much smaller than the size of the plate.

Homework Equations

To find the magnitude of the electric field I know I have to use: |E|=σ/2ϵ0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll be honest I have no clue how to solve this problem, any pointers in the right direction would greatly help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you've got E, and they are asking for potential, so what equation do you know which connects E and V ?

Would I be wrong in stating that since it's a very large plate with uniform charge density, it isn't a point charge. The formula that I have that links those two informations are:

ΔV = -∫Eds, and since the electric field is constant,

ΔV = -Es

ΔV = -σ/2ϵ0 times s

ΔV = -((1 μC/m2)/(2ε0)) times 0.01m

It seems like it's too simple solving like that, I feel like I'm missing something

Last edited:
That is the right answer. The question was more simple than you thought. The final step is to use the initial V and change in V to get the V 1cm away.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that last reply

If I read it right: The answer gives me ΔV, and I have VA, I want VB, right?

So I should do: ΔV = VB - VA ==> ΔV (That I found) = VB - 2000V

So ΔV + 2000V = VB (the volt at 1cm away)?

yes, that's right.

What is the formula for determining the electric potential at a distance?

The formula for electric potential at a distance is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge, and r is the distance.

How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in space, while electric field is a measure of the force exerted on a charged particle at a certain point in space. Electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric field is a vector quantity.

What are the units of electric potential?

The units of electric potential are Joules per Coulomb, or Volts (V).

Can the electric potential at a distance be negative?

Yes, the electric potential at a distance can be negative. This means that the work done by an external force to bring a positive test charge from infinity to that point is negative, indicating that the electric field is doing work on the test charge.

How do multiple charges affect the electric potential at a distance?

The electric potential at a distance due to multiple charges can be found by summing the individual potentials due to each charge. This is known as the principle of superposition in electrostatics.