1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the limit of a sequence

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1
    I have the following sequence

[tex]

\begin{array}{l}
    a_n = ( - 1)^n \left( {\frac{n}{{n + 1}}} \right) \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left[ {( - 1)^n \left( {\frac{n}{{n + 1}}} \right)} \right] \\
    \end{array}

[/tex]

Direct substitution yields [tex]
    ( - 1)^\infty \left( {\frac{\infty }{\infty }} \right)
    [/tex]

I tried manipulating it into a form in which I could apply L'Hopital's Rule.

[tex]

\displaylines{
    {\rm Let y} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left[ {( - 1)^n \left( {\frac{n}{{n + 1}}} \right)} \right] \cr
    \cr
    \ln y = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \ln \left[ {( - 1)^n \left( {\frac{n}{{n + 1}}} \right)} \right] \cr
    \cr
    = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left[ {\ln ( - 1)^n + \ln (n) - \ln (n + 1)} \right] \cr
    \cr
    = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left[ {n\ln ( - 1) + \ln (n) - \ln (n + 1)} \right] \cr
    \cr
    \ln ( - 1) = undefined \cr}

[/tex]

The answer is below. How did the book arrive at that answer? How did they go through and calculate the limit? Solutions manuals are so wonderfully detailed :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2006 #2
    [tex](\frac{n}{n+1})=(1-\frac{1}{n+1})[/tex]
    hope that helps

4. Feb 20, 2006 #3
    Are you required to test the series this way? I would suggest looking at [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} [/tex] in which case that nasty power of n cancels out. If the limit above approaches -1, then the series limit is undetermined. (It may converge, it may not.)

-Dan

5. Feb 20, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

It is a sequence opposed to a series that is being tested for convergence, and hence only [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}a_n[/tex] need be considered (and for such happyg1's note ought be sufficient.)

6. Feb 21, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Another way to look at it is to divide both numerator and denominator by n:
    [tex](-1)^n\frac{n}{n+1}= (-1)^n\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

As n-> infinity, 1/n-> 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?