1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the matrix of a linear transformation

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let D : P3--> P2 be differentiation of polyonimals. Determine the matrix of D with
    respect to the standard basis of P3.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think D=[1 0 0; 0 1 0; 0 0 0]. This is from inspection though because I know that the resulting matrix must exclude the numbers in the last row of the matrix.
    Could someone give me a hint on how to start this question?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well first, do you know what is means by "the standard basis of P3"?

4. May 17, 2009 #3
    The standard basis is [1 0 0; 0 1 0 ; 0 0 1]

5. May 17, 2009 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How can that be? None of those are even elements of P3.

6. May 17, 2009 #5
    ohh wait wait , I meant [ 1 0 0 0; 0 1 0 0 ; 0 0 1 0; 0 0 0 1]

7. May 17, 2009 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have the dimension right, but those still aren't elements of P3.

8. May 17, 2009 #7
    um....then is it the set of different polynomials? {1, x, x^2, x^3}...i think

9. May 17, 2009 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's the standard basis for P3.

10. May 17, 2009 #9
    It's either that or the other way around. I think that P3, however, means polynomials of degree less than 3; so x^3 is excluded.

Now, what you do is you do the linear transformation on each of the basis vectors. This will produce a vector which is an element of P2. Say that U = P3 and V = P2, and D goes from U to V. Then L(u) = v, where u is in U and v is in V.

So you need to find: v1 = L(u1), v2 = L(u2), v3 = L(u3) (and v4 = L(u4), if you include x^3)

Then the matrix for D will have columns v1, v2, and v3 (, and v4 if you include x^3), in that order. Then if you take M, the matrix for D, and try

M*u = v, you'll find that v is a vector in P2 which represents the derivative of the polynomial u.

11. May 17, 2009 #10
    So
    v1 = L(u1) = 0
    v2 = L(u2) = 1
    v3 = L(u3) = x
    v4 = L(u4) = x^2

How am i suppose to rewrite this to represent the matrix D?.....because this is now the standard basis for P2

12. May 17, 2009 #11
    Well, the derivative of x^3 isn't really x^2... it's 3x^2.

And, like I said, I believe that P2, P3, etc. means "the set of all polynomials of degree less than 2, 3, etc.". I might be wrong. That's how it was presented to me, however.

I'll do one part of it for you - so here we go.

U = P3 = [1, x, x^2], V = P2 = [1, x]

D(x^2) = 2x = transform(0, 2) wrt V

So the first column of M will be this vector, namely,

Code (Text):

M = 0   ?   ?
        2   ?   ?

To fill in the other question marks, do the same thing with the other basis vectors and put them in. Then you'll see that things like

M * transform(3, 7, 2) = transform(7, 4).

Does that make more sense?

13. May 17, 2009 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is L? You were supposed to be finding the coordinate matrix for D.

Do you know how to find the coordinates of a vector with respect to a basis?

14. May 17, 2009 #13
    To find the coordinates of a vector with respect to a basis, row reduce the vector with the new basis.

To:AUMathTutor
    I think D works out to be [0 1 0 0 ; 0 0 2 0; 0 0 0 3] if we include polynomials of degree 3 in P3

15. May 17, 2009 #14
    I think that's right. I see I made a mistake in putting (0, 2) in the first column if x^2 comes last in my scheme.

I think that what you have is correct, if of course you allow polynomials of degree 3 in P3 and polynomials of degree 2 in P2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook