Determining the polarity of mutually inducted voltages using the dot convention

In summary, according to the dot convention rule, when current enters the dotted terminal of a coil, the polarity of the voltage it induces in the other coil is positive at its dotted terminal. And vice-versa, when current leaves the dotted terminal of a coil, the polarity of the voltage it induces in the other coil is negative at its dotted terminal. In this specific scenario, the mutually induced voltage in L1 is negative and that in L2 is positive, based on the current entering the dotted terminal of L1 and the undotted terminal of L2. However, there may be ambiguity regarding the voltage induced w.r.t. the dots and w.r.t. the circuit, which may need clarification with the professor or whoever marks the papers
stobbz

Homework Statement

Determine the polarity of the induced voltages in L1 and L2.
[PLAIN]http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/730/31761140.jpg

According to the dot convention rule, when current enters the dotted terminal of a coil,the polarity of the voltage it induces in the other coil is positive at its dotted terminal.

And vice-versa, when current leaves the dotted terminal of a coil, the polarity of the voltage it induces in the other coil is negative at its dotted terminal.

The answer states that the mutually induced voltage in L1 is negative and that in L2 it is positive.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems a very simple question but I can't arrive to any other answer other than both mutually induced voltages being negative.

I've searched extensively to try and figure out where my misunderstanding lies, but no luck.

All help appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
According to the dot convention rule, when current enters the dotted terminal of a coil,the polarity of the voltage it induces in the other coil is positive at its dotted terminal.

Looking at L1, where does the current enter (dot or no dot?) and exit (dot or no dot?) the coil What does this mean for L2?

Looking at L2, where does the current enter (dot or no dot?) and exit (dot or no dot?) the coil What does this mean for L1?

Zryn said:
Looking at L1, where does the current enter (dot or no dot?) and exit (dot or no dot?) the coil What does this mean for L2?

Looking at L2, where does the current enter (dot or no dot?) and exit (dot or no dot?) the coil What does this mean for L1?

The current enters the dotted terminal of L1. My understanding is, that means a positive voltage will be induced at the dotted terminal of L2.

Going round the circuit in the direction of the current, wouldn't this produce a voltage rise across L2 (from undotted to dotted terminal)? In other circuits of this type, usually involving meshes, I have been adding voltage drops and subtracting voltage rises. Wouldn't a voltage rise be considered negative here?(May be where I am going wrong?)

At L2, the current enters the undotted terminal, so a negative voltage will be induced at the dotted terminal of L1. To me, this would signify another voltage rise, this time across L1 (from dotted terminal to undotted).

Thanks for replying.

Yes you're exactly right, given your justification.

I believe however, that the question is looking for the voltages induced w.r.t. the dot's, rather than w.r.t. the circuit.

This may be an ambiguity worthy of clarification with your professor or whomever marks your papers.

Attachments

• Mutually Induced Voltages Answer.JPG
    Mutually Induced Voltages Answer.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 905
Good to know I'm not too far off the mark, thanks a lot for the clarification Zryn.

What is the dot convention in determining the polarity of mutually inducted voltages?

The dot convention is a method used to determine the polarity of mutually inducted voltages in a circuit. It involves placing a dot on one side of the inductor symbol and following the current flow to determine the polarity of the voltage.

Why is the dot convention important in circuit analysis?

The dot convention is important because it helps to accurately determine the polarity of mutually inducted voltages, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of a circuit. It also helps to simplify the mathematical equations used in circuit analysis.

What happens if the dot convention is not followed in circuit analysis?

If the dot convention is not followed, it can lead to incorrect calculations and understanding of the circuit. This can result in errors in circuit design and can affect the overall performance of the circuit.

Can the dot convention be applied to all types of inductors?

Yes, the dot convention can be applied to all types of inductors, including air core, iron core, and toroidal inductors. It is a universal method used in circuit analysis to determine the polarity of mutually inducted voltages.

Are there any exceptions to the dot convention?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the dot convention. In some cases, the dot may be placed on the opposite side of the inductor symbol, depending on the orientation of the inductor in the circuit. This is known as the reversed dot convention and is used in certain situations.