Determining the power delivered by a battery -image included

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving power andvoltage using equations, but ended up using the wrong formula. Once the student corrected the mistake, they were able to calculate the power delivered by the battery.
Josh225

Homework Statement

See attachment for the question and the picture

Homework Equations

Pe= E x Is
Is = V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that in order to find the power delivered by the source, I would have to use the equation: Pe= E x Is.
E is already given to me.. 60.
That means I just have to find Is. I used the formula Is= V/R and applied it to each resistor to find the current. Here is what I got:
I1= 12A
I2= 30 A
I3= 7.5 A
I4= 3 A
I5= 5 A
I added these values up to find Is and got 57.5 A. Now I apply the formula Pe= E x Is (Pe= 60 x 57.5) and got 3450 Watts for the power delivered by the battery.

However.. The correct answer is 1.56 kW

Am I using the wrong formula completely? Where did I go wrong?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160703_180810-1.jpg
    20160703_180810-1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 847
Physics news on Phys.org
Use ohms law to check your resistance to current for voltage calculations.

Josh225 said:

Homework Statement

See attachment for the question and the picture

Homework Equations

Pe= E x Is
Is = V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that in order to find the power delivered by the source, I would have to use the equation: Pe= E x Is.
E is already given to me.. 60.
That means I just have to find Is. I used the formula Is= V/R and applied it to each resistor to find the current. Here is what I got:
I1= 12A
I2= 30 A
I3= 7.5 A
I4= 3 A
I5= 5 A
I added these values up to find Is and got 57.5 A. Now I apply the formula Pe= E x Is (Pe= 60 x 57.5) and got 3450 Watts for the power delivered by the battery.

However.. The correct answer is 1.56 kW

Am I using the wrong formula completely? Where did I go wrong?
Thanks!
You are calculating the current through the 2 and 8 ohm resistors as though they were each separately across the 60V battery. Actually the 2 and 8 ohm resistors are in series and the two of them could be replaced by a single 10 ohm resistor across the battery.

nsaspook said:
Use ohms law to check your resistance to current for voltage calculations.
I checked the math, and everything checked out. Am I going about the problem in the right way?

The Electrician said:
You are calculating the current through the 2 and 8 ohm resistors as though they were each separately across the 60V battery. Actually the 2 and 8 ohm resistors are in series and the two of them could be replaced by a single 10 ohm resistor across the battery.
I tried replacing the 8 and 2 ohms with a 10 ohm resistor. After I added them up, I got Is= 23. I threw that into the formula.. 60 (23) and got 1380 watts.
Still didn't work out.

Is that what you meant to do?

Current in:

5 ohm = 12A
10 ohm = 6A
20 ohm = 3A
12 ohm = 5A

12+6+3+5 = 26A

60V*26A = 1560 watts

The Electrician said:
Current in:

5 ohm = 12A
10 ohm = 6A
20 ohm = 3A
12 ohm = 5A

12+6+3+5 = 26A

60V*26A = 1560 watts
I see now.. But how do you know to combine the 2 and 8 ohm resistors? Arent the 5 ohm and 2 ohm resistors in series?

Last edited:
Perhaps you are thinking that the wire btween the 2 and 8 ohm resistors is connected to the wire between the + terminal of the battery and the top of the 20 ohm resistor. The 2 and 8 ohm resistors are in series only and the wire between them doesn't connect to anything else.

What 1 ohm resistor are you talking about? I don't see any such resistor.

The Electrician said:
Perhaps you are thinking that the wire btween the 2 and 8 ohm resistors is connected to the wire between the + terminal of the battery and the top of the 20 ohm resistor. The 2 and 8 ohm resistors are in series only and the wire between them doesn't connect to anything else.

What 1 ohm resistor are you talking about? I don't see any such resistor.
I apologize, I meant the 5 ohm resistor.

The left end of the 5 ohm resistor is connected to ground; the negative terminal of the battery is also connected to ground. Therefore the 5 ohm resistor is connected across the battery. The 2 and 8 ohm resistor are connected in series across the battery, but with respect to the battery, the 5 and 2 ohm resistors are not connected in series.

Likes Josh225
The Electrician said:
The left end of the 5 ohm resistor is connected to ground; the negative terminal of the battery is also connected to ground. Therefore the 5 ohm resistor is connected across the battery. The 2 and 8 ohm resistor are connected in series across the battery, but with respect to the battery, the 5 and 2 ohm resistors are not connected in series.
Aaaahhhh.. Makes sense now. Thanks alot!

This circuit is shown in such a way as to trick you. I usually helps to redraw the circuit. Then you can more clearly see how things are hooked up:

Trick.jpg

Likes nsaspook
The Electrician said:
This circuit is shown in such a way as to trick you. I usually helps to redraw the circuit. Then you can more clearly see how things are hooked up:

View attachment 102851
Alrighty! Ill keep that in mind. It's much easier to see that way.

What is the purpose of determining the power delivered by a battery?

The purpose of determining the power delivered by a battery is to understand its performance and make informed decisions about its use. This information can also be used to compare different batteries and choose the most suitable one for a specific application.

What factors affect the power delivered by a battery?

The power delivered by a battery can be affected by several factors, including its voltage, current, internal resistance, and temperature. These factors can impact the battery's efficiency and overall performance.

How is the power delivered by a battery calculated?

The power delivered by a battery can be calculated by multiplying its voltage by the current flowing through it. This is known as the power formula (P = VI). However, in real-life scenarios, the power delivered by a battery may be affected by additional factors, such as its internal resistance.

What are some common methods for measuring the power delivered by a battery?

Some common methods for measuring the power delivered by a battery include using a multimeter, power analyzers, and load testers. These tools can provide accurate measurements of the battery's voltage, current, and power output.

Why is it important to regularly determine the power delivered by a battery?

Regularly determining the power delivered by a battery can help identify any changes in its performance over time. This information can be used to monitor the health of the battery and determine when it needs to be replaced or recharged. It can also help prevent potential damage to devices or equipment powered by the battery.