1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the power delivered by a battery -image included

1. Jul 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See attachment for the question and the picture

2. Relevant equations
    Pe= E x Is
    Is = V/R

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured that in order to find the power delivered by the source, I would have to use the equation: Pe= E x Is.
    E is already given to me.. 60.
    That means I just have to find Is. I used the formula Is= V/R and applied it to each resistor to find the current. Here is what I got:
    I1= 12A
    I2= 30 A
    I3= 7.5 A
    I4= 3 A
    I5= 5 A
    I added these values up to find Is and got 57.5 A. Now I apply the formula Pe= E x Is (Pe= 60 x 57.5) and got 3450 Watts for the power delivered by the battery.

However.. The correct answer is 1.56 kW

Am I using the wrong formula completely? Where did I go wrong?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2016 #2

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Use ohms law to check your resistance to current for voltage calculations.

4. Jul 3, 2016 #3

The Electrician

Gold Member

You are calculating the current through the 2 and 8 ohm resistors as though they were each separately across the 60V battery. Actually the 2 and 8 ohm resistors are in series and the two of them could be replaced by a single 10 ohm resistor across the battery.

5. Jul 4, 2016 #4
    I checked the math, and everything checked out. Am I going about the problem in the right way?

6. Jul 4, 2016 #5
    I tried replacing the 8 and 2 ohms with a 10 ohm resistor. After I added them up, I got Is= 23. I threw that into the formula.. 60 (23) and got 1380 watts.
    Still didn't work out.

Is that what you meant to do?

7. Jul 4, 2016 #6

The Electrician

Gold Member

Current in:

5 ohm = 12A
    10 ohm = 6A
    20 ohm = 3A
    12 ohm = 5A

12+6+3+5 = 26A

60V*26A = 1560 watts

8. Jul 4, 2016 #7
    I see now.. But how do you know to combine the 2 and 8 ohm resistors? Arent the 5 ohm and 2 ohm resistors in series?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  9. Jul 4, 2016 #8

The Electrician

Gold Member

Perhaps you are thinking that the wire btween the 2 and 8 ohm resistors is connected to the wire between the + terminal of the battery and the top of the 20 ohm resistor. The 2 and 8 ohm resistors are in series only and the wire between them doesn't connect to anything else.

What 1 ohm resistor are you talking about? I don't see any such resistor.

10. Jul 4, 2016 #9
    I apologize, I meant the 5 ohm resistor.

11. Jul 4, 2016 #10

The Electrician

Gold Member

The left end of the 5 ohm resistor is connected to ground; the negative terminal of the battery is also connected to ground. Therefore the 5 ohm resistor is connected across the battery. The 2 and 8 ohm resistor are connected in series across the battery, but with respect to the battery, the 5 and 2 ohm resistors are not connected in series.

12. Jul 4, 2016 #11
    Aaaahhhh.. Makes sense now. Thanks alot!

13. Jul 4, 2016 #12

The Electrician

Gold Member

This circuit is shown in such a way as to trick you. I usually helps to redraw the circuit. Then you can more clearly see how things are hooked up:

Trick.jpg

14. Jul 4, 2016 #13
    Alrighty! Ill keep that in mind. It's much easier to see that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted