1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power delivered to each source. Image included

1. Jul 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I got the correct answers for A and B, I just need help with C and D.

A. Find indicated currents. I1= I2 = 3 A ... IL = 6 A

B. Find total power delivered by each source. PE = 12 V (3A)

C. Find the total power delivered by each source and compare it to the power delivered to the load RL.

D. If only source current was available, what would the current drain be to supply the same power to the load? How does the current level compare to the calculated level of part A.
    2. Relevant equations
    PE = E Is

Is = E/ RT
    3. The attempt at a solution
    A. Find indicated currents. I1= I2 = 3 A ... IL = 6 A

B. Find total power delivered by each source. PE = 12 V (3A)

C. It says the answer is 72 W, but im unsure how to get there. I figured that I would find RL by applying ohms law (R= V/I ... R=12/3 = 4 ohms) then subtracting it from PL (72 W), but that gets me the wrong answer.

D. For D, I am not so sure..

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

C is a question (find the power) followed by an instruction (to make a comparison). The question part looks identical to question B, other than an apparently unimportant 'the'. Are you sure you have typed in the questions correctly?

Also, if we are told that 72W is being dissipated in the resistance, doesn't the symmetry between the two batteries in the circuit dictate that each must be supplying half of that power, without having to do any calculations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted