Power delivered to each source. Image included

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving finding indicated currents and total power delivered by sources. The first two parts (A and B) have been solved, and the person is seeking help with the next two parts (C and D). Part C involves finding the total power delivered by each source and comparing it to the power delivered to the load. Part D asks for the current drain needed to supply the same power to the load and how it compares to the calculated level in part A. The person is unsure of how to solve part C and questions whether the questions have been typed correctly. They also mention the symmetry between the two batteries in the circuit and question if each must be supplying half of the power without needing to do calculations.
Josh225

Homework Statement

I got the correct answers for A and B, I just need help with C and D.

A. Find indicated currents. I1= I2 = 3 A ... IL = 6 A

B. Find total power delivered by each source. PE = 12 V (3A)

C. Find the total power delivered by each source and compare it to the power delivered to the load RL.

D. If only source current was available, what would the current drain be to supply the same power to the load? How does the current level compare to the calculated level of part A.

Homework Equations

PE = E Is

Is = E/ RT

The Attempt at a Solution

A. Find indicated currents. I1= I2 = 3 A ... IL = 6 A

B. Find total power delivered by each source. PE = 12 V (3A)

C. It says the answer is 72 W, but I am unsure how to get there. I figured that I would find RL by applying ohms law (R= V/I ... R=12/3 = 4 ohms) then subtracting it from PL (72 W), but that gets me the wrong answer.

D. For D, I am not so sure..

Attachments

• 20160718_162913-1.jpg
    20160718_162913-1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 345
Physics news on Phys.org
C is a question (find the power) followed by an instruction (to make a comparison). The question part looks identical to question B, other than an apparently unimportant 'the'. Are you sure you have typed in the questions correctly?

Also, if we are told that 72W is being dissipated in the resistance, doesn't the symmetry between the two batteries in the circuit dictate that each must be supplying half of that power, without having to do any calculations?

What is meant by "Power delivered to each source"?

Power delivered to each source refers to the amount of energy being supplied to each individual source or component in a circuit. This can be calculated by multiplying the current flowing through the source by the voltage drop across it.

How is power delivered to each source calculated?

Power delivered to each source is calculated by multiplying the current flowing through the source by the voltage drop across it. This can be represented by the equation P = I x V, where P is power, I is current, and V is voltage.

Why is it important to know the power delivered to each source?

Knowing the power delivered to each source is important because it helps us understand the distribution of energy within a circuit. This information can be used to optimize circuit designs and ensure that each component is receiving the necessary power to function properly.

What units are used to measure power delivered to each source?

Power delivered to each source is typically measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW). In some cases, it may also be measured in horsepower (hp) or megawatts (MW) for larger power systems.

Can the power delivered to each source change over time?

Yes, the power delivered to each source can change over time. This can occur due to fluctuations in current or voltage, as well as changes in the resistance of the circuit. It is important to monitor and adjust the power delivered to each source in order to maintain optimal performance and prevent damage to components.