Determining whether a set is a vector space

In summary, the conversation discusses a set of arrays of real numbers and the operations of addition and scalar multiplication defined on this set. The question is whether this set is a vector space, specifically concerning the associative law of vector addition. After a discussion about the definition of matrix addition, it is determined that the given set does not satisfy the associative law and therefore is not a vector space. The conversation also clarifies that the set does not involve matrices, but rather arrays of numbers with a non-standard definition for addition and scalar multiplication.
Valerie Witchy
Summary:: the set of arrays of real numbers (a11, a21, a12, a22), addition and scalar multiplication defined by ; determine whether the set is a vector space; associative law

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 8.38.13 PM.png

Question: determine whether the set is a vector space.

The answer in the solution books I found online says that the set is a vector space. However I do not think the set satisfies the associative law of vector addition:
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 9.07.57 PM.png

Can anyone tell me where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
PeroK said:
Which book is this? There's a serious misprint in the definition of matrix addition.
Maybe this is the question: Is the addition defined in that way the addition of a vector spaces?

Likes Marc Rindermann, archaic and member 587159
fresh_42 said:
Maybe this is the question: Is the addition defined in that way the addition of a vector spaces?
Yes, of course. But, that operation can't possibly be associative!

Valerie Witchy said:
Summary:: the set of arrays of real numbers (a11, a21, a12, a22), addition and scalar multiplication defined by ; determine whether the set is a vector space; associative law

View attachment 260167

Question: determine whether the set is a vector space.

The answer in the solution books I found online says that the set is a vector space. However I do not think the set satisfies the associative law of vector addition:
View attachment 260168

Can anyone tell me where did I go wrong?
It looks like you are right.

You just need to look at ##c_{11}##, say, If you do ##a + (b + c)##, then ##c_{11}## goes to the second column, then back to the first. If you do ##(a + b) + c##, then ##c_{11}## goes to to the second column. That addition operation cannot be associative.

Likes FactChecker
Was the "solution" you looked up the solution to this specific question? That is, was the solution set written for this book? Matrices with the standard matrix addition and scalar multiplication do form a vector space but this is NOT "standard" matrix multiplication. It may be that this non-standard addition was given as an exercise to see if you are paying attention!

Likes PeroK
HallsofIvy said:
Was the "solution" you looked up the solution to this specific question? That is, was the solution set written for this book? Matrices with the standard matrix addition and scalar multiplication do form a vector space but this is NOT "standard" matrix multiplication. It may be that this non-standard addition was given as an exercise to see if you are paying attention!
The OP was paying attention. It was me who wasn't paying attention!

Likes epenguin
HallsofIvy said:

It was the solution to this specific question. Matrix addition and scalar multiplication are defined as such in the question, ie. the question does not assume standard matrix addition and scalar multiplication. the question was, determine whether the set on which the matrix addition and scalar multiplication are defined as such is a vector space.

PeroK said:
It looks like you are right.

You just need to look at ##c_{11}##, say, If you do ##a + (b + c)##, then ##c_{11}## goes to the second column, then back to the first. If you do ##(a + b) + c##, then ##c_{11}## goes to to the second column. That addition operation cannot be associative.
Thank you very much!

PeroK said:
Which book is this? There's a serious misprint in the definition of matrix addition. Addition is simply element by element, as you would expect. You certainly don't start mixing up the elements.
You are misreading the problem. It doesn't say anything about matrices! It talks about the set of arrays with the given definition if addition.

HallsofIvy said:
You are misreading the problem. It doesn't say anything about matrices! It talks about the set of arrays with the given definition if addition.
Tomayto, tomahto. The image attached in post #1 shows a 2 X 2 array of numbers -- a matrix. It just so happens that the set involved includes matrices as described, but with the operations of matrix addition and multiplication by a scalar defined in ways different from the usual.

No, a "two by two array of numbers" is just that, it is NOT by itself a "matrix". A matrix is a an array of numbers together with a standard definition for multiplying and adding those arrays. Here we are given a two by two array of numbers with a definition of "multiplication" that is different from that standard definition.

HallsofIvy said:
No, a "two by two array of numbers" is just that, it is NOT by itself a "matrix".
Here is the Wikipedia definition (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_(mathematics):
A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or other mathematical objects for which operations such as addition and multiplication are defined.
Note that all lit doesn't mention how the two operations must be defined.
HallsofIvy said:
A matrix is a an array of numbers together with a standard definition for multiplying and adding those arrays.
The definition I showed does not include the word "standard."
HallsofIvy said:
Here we are given a two by two array of numbers with a definition of "multiplication" that is different from that standard definition.
For a set of matrices (= rectangular arrays of numbers) to be a vector space, the operations of matrix addition and scalar multiplication have to satisfy the usual list of vector space axioms. The addition and scalar multiplication operations don't have to be the usual ones.

As much as I hate to- I will have to agree with you! But I will still disagree with Perok, to whom I was originally responding, when he said that the given definition of matrix addition was "wrong"!

HallsofIvy said:
As much as I hate to- I will have to agree with you! But I will still disagree with Perok, to whom I was originally responding, when he said that the given definition of matrix addition was "wrong"!
Yes on PeroK. He was assuming that the matrices had the usual definitions for addition and scalar multiplication, and that there were typos in the problem statement. Problems like the one in this thread are pretty standard in lin. alg. textbooks, where you have a set of matrices with unusual definitions for the two operations, and the student is asked to decide whether the set of matrices plus the two operations constitute a vector space. I'm sure you know this.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, called vectors, and two operations, vector addition and scalar multiplication, that satisfy certain properties. These properties include closure, associativity, commutativity, existence of an identity element, and existence of inverse elements.

2. How do you determine if a set is a vector space?

To determine if a set is a vector space, you must check if it satisfies the properties of a vector space. These properties include closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication, associativity, commutativity, existence of an identity element, and existence of inverse elements. If the set satisfies all of these properties, it is a vector space.

3. What are some examples of vector spaces?

Some examples of vector spaces include the set of all real numbers, the set of all n-tuples of real numbers, the set of all polynomials of degree n or less, and the set of all continuous functions on a closed interval.

4. Can a set be a vector space if it does not contain the zero vector?

No, a set cannot be a vector space if it does not contain the zero vector. The zero vector is necessary for the existence of an identity element and inverse elements under vector addition.

5. What is the importance of vector spaces in science?

Vector spaces are important in science because they provide a mathematical framework for understanding and analyzing physical quantities and their relationships. They are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science to model and solve problems involving multiple variables and their interactions.