Determining whether a set of vectors is a subspace of R^3?

In summary, the conversation is about determining whether a set of vectors is a subspace of R^3 and finding a basis for it. One person suggests using the axioms to check for closure under addition and multiplication, while another suggests finding a vector in the set and multiplying it by 1000 to see if the resulting vector is also in the set. They discuss using different values of t to find a vector in the set and determine that the resulting vector (910,450,2720) cannot be part of the set, thus proving that the set is not closed under addition and not a subspace of R^3.
ParoxysmX

Homework Statement

Determine whether the set of all vectors of the form (sin2t,sintcost,3sin2t) is a subspace of R^3 and if so, find a basis for it.

Homework Equations

I guess you just need to use the axioms where it is closed under scalar addition and multiplication.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I have two vectors u=(1,2,3) and v=(4,5,6) then u+v = (5,7,9). This gives us 5=sin2t, 7=sintcost, and 9=3sin2t. Am I right in saying there's no (real) value of t which will satisfy any of these equations, meaning (sin2t,sintcost,3sin2t) isn't closed under addition and thus not a subspace of R^3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let v be such a "vector". Since a vector space must be closed under scalar multiplication, look at 1000v. Is that still in the set.

(Hint: [itex]-1\le sin(x)\le 1[/itex] for all x.)

ParoxysmX said:
If I have two vectors u=(1,2,3) and v=(4,5,6) then u+v = (5,7,9). This gives us 5=sin2t, 7=sintcost, and 9=3sin2t. Am I right in saying there's no (real) value of t which will satisfy any of these equations, meaning (sin2t,sintcost,3sin2t) isn't closed under addition and thus not a subspace of R^3?
This would require that u=(1,2,3) and v=(4,5,6) are elements of your set (they are not). You can use the approach posted by HallsofIvy, you just need some vector in the set to begin.

HallsofIvy said:
Let v be such a "vector". Since a vector space must be closed under scalar multiplication, look at 1000v. Is that still in the set.

(Hint: [itex]-1\le sin(x)\le 1[/itex] for all x.)

Multiplying by 1000 would give

[itex]-1\le sin(1000x)\le 1[/itex]

right? And that statement remains true for all x?

Last edited:
While that statement remains true for all x, this is not the point where a multiplication is useful.

HallsofIvy said:
Let v be such a "vector".
Start here, please. Can you find such a vector of your set?

Not one with real components I don't think.

You have vectors with real components. Actually, all vectors have real components, as you are in R^3. Just plug in some arbitrary value of t - I expect that t is real, so the vector components are real as well.

t=1 say? This would give (0.91,0.45,2.72). Any number for t would give some values back in the form we want.

Right. Now you can follow the advice of HallsofIvy and multiply this vector by 1000. Is the resulting vector (how does it look like) part of your set, too?

ParoxysmX said:
Multiplying by 1000 would give

[itex]-1\le sin(1000x)\le 1[/itex]

right? And that statement remains true for all x?
No! 1000 sin(x) is NOT equal to sin(1000x).

mfb said:
Right. Now you can follow the advice of HallsofIvy and multiply this vector by 1000. Is the resulting vector (how does it look like) part of your set, too?

So that would mean you have 1000sin(x), which no longer oscillates between the same values as sin(x).

There is no x here. You get (910,450,2720). Can this vector be part of your set? In other words, is there a t such that (sin2t,sintcost,3sin2t) = (910,450,2720)?
If you can disprove this, you are done.

Related to Determining whether a set of vectors is a subspace of R^3?

1. What is a subspace in the context of R^3?

A subspace in the context of R^3 is a subset of R^3 that contains vectors that satisfy certain properties. These properties include closure under scalar multiplication and vector addition, as well as containing the zero vector.

2. How can I determine if a set of vectors is a subspace of R^3?

To determine if a set of vectors is a subspace of R^3, you can check if the set satisfies the properties of a subspace, such as closure under scalar multiplication and vector addition, and containing the zero vector. You can also use the subspace test, which involves checking if the set is closed under linear combinations.

3. What is the subspace test?

The subspace test is a method used to determine if a set of vectors is a subspace of R^3. It involves checking if the set is closed under linear combinations, meaning that any linear combination of vectors in the set will also be in the set.

4. Can a set of vectors be a subspace of R^3 if it does not contain the zero vector?

No, a set of vectors cannot be a subspace of R^3 if it does not contain the zero vector. The zero vector is a necessary property for a subspace, as it represents the origin and is needed for closure under vector addition.

5. What is an example of a set of vectors that is not a subspace of R^3?

An example of a set of vectors that is not a subspace of R^3 is a set that does not contain the zero vector. For example, the set {(1,2,3), (4,5,6)} is not a subspace of R^3 because it does not contain the zero vector (0,0,0).