Diagonalizable matrix problem with parameters

In summary, the problem involves determining the values of a, b, and c for which the given 3x3 matrix A is diagonalizable. The characteristic polynomial of A is found to be (t-c)(t-a)^2, yielding eigenvalues of a and c. For the case where a=c, the equations simplify to -z=0 and -bz=0, implying that the nullity of A is 2. The nullity is determined by finding the dimension of the eigenspace corresponding to each eigenvalue.
ryebread

Homework Statement

A is a given 3x3 matrix
A=[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
a & 0 & 1 \\
0 & a & b \\
0 & 0 & c
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
a,b,c are real numbers
1) determine for what values of a,b,c the matrix A is diagnoizable. (advice: distinguish between the cases a=c and a≠c)

Homework Equations

characteristic polynomial of A is det(tI-A)

The Attempt at a Solution

finding the solution for det(tI-A)=0
tI-A=[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
t-a & 0 & -1 \\
0 & t-a & -b \\
0 & 0 & t-c
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
the characteristic polynomial is (t-c)(t-a)^2 and therefore the eigenvalues are a and c.
for t=c we get the matrix [tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
c-a & 0 & -1 \\
0 & c-a & -b \\
0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
let it be C, x=(x,y,z), for Cx=0 we get the system of linear equations:
(c-a)x-z=0
(c-a)y -bz=0
likewise, for t=a we get
-1z=0
-bz=0
(a-c)z=0

after that I'm pretty much lost. my guess is that you need to find the dimension of the eigenspace that corresponds to each eigenvalue, but I'm nut sure how.

Help would be very welcomed

Physics news on Phys.org
As the problem suggests, consider the a=c case separately. If a=c, then your equations above simplify to
-z = 0
-bz = 0

What constraints does this impose on x, y, and z?

jbunniii said:
As the problem suggests, consider the a=c case separately. If a=c, then your equations above simplify to
-z = 0
-bz = 0

What constraints does this impose on x, y, and z?

i have no idea.
I finally managed to solve it with algebraic and geometric multiplicities, but i just don't get nullity.

1. What is a diagonalizable matrix?

A diagonalizable matrix is a square matrix that can be transformed into a diagonal matrix through similarity transformations, where the diagonal matrix contains the eigenvalues of the original matrix. This process is often used to simplify calculations and solve problems involving matrices.

2. What are parameters in the context of diagonalizable matrices?

In the context of diagonalizable matrices, parameters refer to variables or constants that are used to represent unknown quantities in the matrix. These parameters can be used in the process of finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, as well as determining the diagonal form of the matrix.

3. How do I know if a matrix is diagonalizable?

A matrix is diagonalizable if it has a full set of linearly independent eigenvectors. This means that the matrix can be transformed into a diagonal matrix through similarity transformations. Alternatively, a matrix is diagonalizable if it has n distinct eigenvalues, where n is the size of the matrix.

4. Can a diagonalizable matrix have repeated eigenvalues?

Yes, a diagonalizable matrix can have repeated eigenvalues. However, for a matrix to be diagonalizable, it must have a full set of linearly independent eigenvectors. This means that even if there are repeated eigenvalues, the eigenvectors associated with each eigenvalue must be different.

5. How are diagonalizable matrices used in real-world applications?

Diagonalizable matrices have various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze complex systems, such as electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and financial markets. Diagonalizable matrices are also used in computer graphics and image processing to transform and manipulate images and shapes.