Did Einstein have a Physical Interpretation of Frames?

In summary, the interpretation of frames as three orthogonal meter sticks and an ideal clock is problematic when considering frame fields, as they must be Born rigid in order to construct a rigid lattice of meter sticks and clocks. This concept can be found in Albert Einstein's "The Meaning of Relativity". The issue of non-Born rigidity is discussed in "Principles of Quantum General Relativity" by Abhay Ashtekar.
center o bass
By a frame I mean four orthogonal vectors for which one is timelike and the others are spacelike.

In a bypassing some time ago I read something about the basis vectors in a frame representing sticks and and a clock. However, the author also noted that this interpretation was problematic. I would like very much like to read a more elaborate discussion on the issue.

Did Einstein have an interpretation, can you explain it, or can you refer me to some good literature on it?

Physics news on Phys.org
center o bass said:
In a bypassing some time ago I read something about the basis vectors in a frame representing sticks and and a clock. However, the author also noted that this interpretation was problematic.

What is problematic about it? A reference would be useful.

WannabeNewton said:
What is problematic about it? A reference would be useful.
I think it is related to the problem of rigid motion in relativity. I read it in "principles of quantum general relativity" which was on Google books, but is no more.

center o bass said:
I think it is related to the problem of rigid motion in relativity. I read it in "principles of quantum general relativity" which was on Google books, but is no more.

Born rigidity would only be a problem when speaking of frame fields, not frames themselves. Note that when I say "frame" or "frame field" I mean specifically local Lorentz frames or fields thereof.

More precisely, the issue only arises if the frame field ##\{e_{\alpha}\}##, with ##e_0 = u## the 4-velocity field of some time-like congruence, is such that ##\mathcal{L}_{u} e_{i} \neq 0## for if ##\mathcal{L}_{u} e_{i} =0## then the always valid interpretation of each local Lorentz frame as three orthogonal meter sticks (or gyroscopes) and an ideal clock can also be carried over to the frame field itself as ##\mathcal{L}_{u} e_{i} =0## guarantees that if a given observer initially locks his meter sticks to those of an infinitesimally neighboring observer then they will remain locked for all (proper) time. Using these axes one can then obviously construct a rigid coordinate chart consisting of a lattice of rigid meter sticks and clocks.

Now if such a frame field exists for this time-like congruence then note that ##h(e_0, e_{\alpha}) = 0, h(e_i,e_j) = \delta_{ij}## since ##g(e_{\alpha},e_{\beta}) = \eta_{\alpha\beta}##, where ##h## is the spatial metric, and so we have simply that [tex]\mathcal{L}_u h(e_{\alpha},e_{\beta}) = 0 \\ \Rightarrow (\mathcal{L}_u h)(e_{\alpha},e_{\beta}) + h(e_{\alpha}, \mathcal{L}_u e_{\beta}) + h(\mathcal{L}_u e_{\alpha}, e_{\beta}) = (\mathcal{L}_u h)(e_{\alpha},e_{\beta}) = 0 \\ \Rightarrow \mathcal{L}_u h = 0[/tex] which is, by definition, Born rigidity.

In other words, in order to construct a rigid coordinate chart i.e. a rigid lattice of meter sticks and clocks, which as stated above requires the existence of a frame field that is Lie transported by the 4-velocity field of the time-like congruence of interest, one requires that said congruence be Born rigid. This means that for non-Born rigid fields of observers, one can still attach to each observer a local Lorentz frame and interpret each as a set of three meter sticks and a clock, but the so obtained frame field will not correspond to a rigid lattice of such meter sticks adapted to the entire field of observers. This basically means that if we want to construct a rigid coordinate chart adapted to some family of observers, it would be necessary for them to be undergoing Born rigid motion e.g. they could be following orbits of a time-like Killing field.

So the lack of Born rigidity does not pose a threat to the interpretation of frames themselves as three orthogonal meter sticks and an ideal clock.

1. What is the concept of a "physical interpretation of frames" in relation to Einstein?

The concept of a "physical interpretation of frames" refers to Einstein's theory of relativity, specifically his theory of general relativity. In this theory, Einstein proposed that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects. This concept is often explained using the analogy of a trampoline, where the presence of a heavy object causes a depression in the fabric, causing other objects to roll towards it.

2. Did Einstein believe that frames of reference have a physical existence?

Yes, Einstein believed that frames of reference, or coordinate systems, have a physical existence. In his theory of general relativity, he described how the curvature of space and time can vary depending on the frame of reference being used. This means that the choice of frame of reference can have a physical impact on the observed phenomena.

3. How did Einstein's theory of general relativity change our understanding of the physical universe?

Einstein's theory of general relativity revolutionized our understanding of the physical universe by showing that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time. This theory also provided a more accurate explanation for the behavior of large-scale objects, such as planets and galaxies, which was not fully explained by Newton's theory of gravity.

4. Was Einstein's physical interpretation of frames universally accepted by the scientific community?

No, Einstein's theory of general relativity faced significant criticism and skepticism when it was first proposed. However, over time, numerous experiments and observations have confirmed the validity of the theory, and it is now widely accepted by the scientific community.

5. How does the concept of frames of reference relate to the concept of spacetime?

Frames of reference and spacetime are closely related concepts in Einstein's theory of general relativity. Spacetime is a four-dimensional continuum that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. Frames of reference are used to describe the position and motion of objects within this spacetime. Einstein's theory shows that spacetime is not static, but rather it can be curved and affected by the presence of mass and energy, as described by frames of reference.