Troubleshooting Missing MATLAB Toolbox Functions

• Thread starter mikeph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the fanbeam.m function in MATLAB. The speaker is trying to use the function but is getting an error. They check for help on the function but find none, and suspect it may have been deleted or overwritten. They then receive advice to check the path and find that there is another fanbeam.m file in the MATLAB folder, which is causing the issue. After renaming the file, the function works properly.
mikeph
I'm trying to use the fanbeam.m function for some experimenting and when I select the example in the help file and press F9, I'm getting an error on the line where it uses the function.

I type "help fanbeam" and get No help found for fanbeam.m.

I may have written an m-file called this in the past, it's the only reason I can think it wouldn't work, but this file is not in my workspace at the moment.

Any ideas why this MATLAB toolbox function is missing/lost?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What does Matlab say when you type "which fanbeam"? If you don't get anything, it means the function is missing from the path. If that's the case, then either the m file is missing, or the path is missing the proper folder. If you get a path, and it's not the toolbox path, then you have another fanbeam.m file which takes precedence.

caffenta said:
What does Matlab say when you type "which fanbeam"? If you don't get anything, it means the function is missing from the path. If that's the case, then either the m file is missing, or the path is missing the proper folder. If you get a path, and it's not the toolbox path, then you have another fanbeam.m file which takes precedence.

It's in the MATLAB folder! I guess it takes precedence, did not realize it would look outside of the workspace!

Renamed it and it's working perfectly now! Thanks.

Related to Troubleshooting Missing MATLAB Toolbox Functions

1. What does it mean to overwrite a function?

Overwriting a function means that a new definition of the function is being used, replacing the previous definition. This can result in the function performing different actions or returning different values than before.

2. How do I know if I have overwritten a function?

If you have defined a function with the same name as an existing function, or if you have reassigned a variable that holds a function, then you have likely overwritten the function. You can also check the code in your function to see if it is different from the original definition.

3. What are the potential consequences of overwriting a function?

The consequences of overwriting a function depend on the specific function and how it is being used. In some cases, it may lead to unexpected or incorrect behavior in your code. It can also cause conflicts with other functions or variables that rely on the original function definition.

4. How can I avoid accidentally overwriting a function?

To avoid overwriting a function, it is important to carefully name and organize your functions and variables. Use unique and descriptive names for your functions, and avoid reassigning variables that hold function definitions. You can also use JavaScript's strict mode, which will throw an error if you attempt to overwrite a function.

5. What should I do if I realize that I have overwritten a function?

If you realize that you have overwritten a function, it is important to carefully review your code and determine where the issue is occurring. You may need to rename your function or use a different approach to achieve the desired functionality. It is also a good idea to test your code thoroughly after making any changes to ensure that the issue has been resolved.