1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did I set this Fourier series up correctly?

1. Nov 6, 2014 #1

If you take the Fourier series of a function $f(x)$ where $0 < x < \pi$, then would $a_{0}$, $a_{n}$, and $b_{n}$ be defined as,

$a_{0} = \displaystyle\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}f(x)dx$

$a_{n} = \displaystyle\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}f(x)\cos(nx)dx$

$b_{n} = \displaystyle\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}f(x)\sin(nx)dx$

assuming that I am using the definition of a Fourier series in the following way:

$f(x) = \displaystyle\frac{a_{0}}{2} + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{n}\cos\left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right) + b_{n}\sin\left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right)$

I only ask because I found this article:

http://people.uncw.edu/hermanr/mat463/ODEBook/Book/Fourier.pdf

On page 163 he defines the Fourier series from $[0,L]$ but in his definition, he has

$\cos\left(\frac{2n\pi x}{L}\right)$ and $\sin\left(\frac{2n\pi x}{L}\right)$ in his formulation. Is the way I set it up correct or his way? I have seen it both ways. I have also seen $a_{0}$ defined with the constant $\displaystyle\frac{2}{\pi}$ in front of the integral at times too so I am unsure if mine is correct or I need to add the two.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2014 #2
    Hmmmm it did not translate my latex writing. I apologize for that.

4. Nov 6, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Edit your post and put double pound signs ## around inline tex and double dollar signs $$ around displayed tex. Then use the preview button before posting it.

5. Nov 6, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

Given [itex]f: [0,L] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] there are three ways to express it as a fourier series.

First, you can expand it as is, and you'll have in general both sines and cosines of frequencies [itex]2\pi n/L[/itex] for each positive integer [itex]n[/itex] (because when [itex]x = L[/itex] you want [itex]2\pi n x/L = 2n\pi[/itex]).

Secondly, you can extend it to [itex][-L,L][/itex] as an even function by setting [itex]f(-x) = f(x)[/itex] for each [itex]x \in [0,L][/itex] and using the series of that. Because it's an even function the series will only have cosine terms, and the frequencies are [itex]\pi n/L[/itex] for each positive integer [itex]n[/itex] (because when [itex]x = \pm L[/itex] you want [itex]\pi nx/L = \pm n\pi[/itex]).

Thirdly, you can extend it to [itex][-L,L][/itex] as an odd function setting [itex]f(-x) = -f(x)[/itex] for each [itex]x \in [0,L][/itex] and using the series of that. Because it's an odd function the series will only have sine terms, and the frequencies are [itex]\pi n/L[/itex] for each positive integer [itex]n[/itex] (because when [itex]x = \pm L[/itex] you want [itex]\pi nx/L = \pm n\pi[/itex]).

6. Nov 6, 2014 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, there are infinitely many ways, of which, admittedly, most are pointless. But you could define ##f(x)## pretty much any way you want on ##(-L,0)## and extend periodically from ##(-L,L)##.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted