Did *The Guardian* just suggest the assassination of our President

• News
  • Thread starter Tigers2B1
  • Start date
In summary: Answer. The second Vietcong prisoner said, 'I don't know. I was too afraid.'"In summary, the author sarcastically calls for the assassination of the US President, and suggests that the same right-wing Republicans from Nevada (the ones that commited voter fraud) that committed voter fraud might be able to do it.
Tigers2B1
Holy fracking mother of all newspapers --- did The Guardian just sarcastically call for assassination of our President? Are these jackasses joking or is there and element of seriousness there? Remember these are the same far left liberal folks who took it upon themselves to attempt to influence our election by letter writing, emails, and indirect money donations -

…On November 2, the entire civilised world will be praying, praying Bush loses. And Sod's law dictates he'll probably win, thereby disproving the existence of God once and for all. The world will endure four more years of idiocy, arrogance and unwarranted bloodshed, with no benevolent deity to watch over and save us. John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley Jr - where are you now that we need you?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/columnists/story/0,,1333748,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Want to talk about it with the Guardian’s Editor in Chief?

Emily Bell, editor in chief of Guardian Unlimited, can be contacted at editor@guardianunlimited.co.uk

Haven't you heard of humor with a twist of sarcasm?

Remember the right-wing Republicans from Nevada - the ones that commited voter fraud? I do. So, what's your point?

While I can see the intended humour in the remark, it is pretty ill-judged given that the US has had three (I think) presidents assassinated in the past. But rather than being malicious, it probably highlights cultural differences in attitudes of the press to politicians, and in gun crime. After all, in the UK its the public who need to beware, not the politicians.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/vote2001/hi/english/talking_point/newsid_1336000/1336042.stm

Ah yes, I suppose you're right, that IS "humor." The sort found in most top rate newspapers like The Guardian ----- I'm certain lots of Americans will just 'bust a gut' if given a chance to read this new Oscar Wilde of British humor.

Hey, maybe Charlie Brooker, the article's author, might hire a Jeffery Dahmer type to baby-sit his kids. Then write about the 28 packages of frozen irony. Spaghetti anyone? Now THAT'S humor!

No wait – THAT's extremely bad taste -

What, it was only a joke?

Ok, Ok, I'll unpack.

Tigers2B1 said:
Ah yes, I suppose you're right, that IS "humor." The sort found in most top rate newspapers like The Guardian ----- I'm certain lots of Americans will just 'bust a gut' if given a chance to read this new Oscar Wilde of British humor.

Hey, maybe Charlie Brooker, the article's author, might hire a Jeffery Dahmer type to baby-sit his kids. Then write about the 28 packages of frozen irony. Spaghetti anyone? Now THAT'S humor!

No wait – THAT's extremely bad taste -

I still don't understand the whole point of this post. So what? They said they wanted to kill the president. It wasn't written in Arabic, so why are you taking it seriously? :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, I know why you created this. It was written by a bunch of liberals. Even if it were written in Arabic you wouldn't have mentioned it.

Edit: They didn't even say they wanted to. They "suggested" it, as you so fondly put in the topic, which sort of trivializes this whole thread.

Last edited:
Tigers2B1 said:
Ah yes, I suppose you're right, that IS "humor." ... I'm certain lots of Americans will just 'bust a gut' if given a chance to read this new Oscar Wilde of British humor.

:rofl:
Now that is funny, Tigers, even if it is just flat-out saracasm. Personally, I don't read newspapers anymore, whether they are supposedly quality or not. All you get is some hack's boring opinion, or their lame-ass attempt to provoke controversy and gain some cheap publicity for the rag in question... uh... hang on - you weren't being provoked there Tigers, were you? Oh, hang on - I get it; you are the Guardian's US correspondent, merely trying to whip up some publicity to boost The Guardian's flagging worldwide sales. Well I aint falling for it, mister. You aint dragging me into no transatlantic cat-fight. No sir. Nice try though.

Seriously though, if you do feel strongly about it I'd advise you to write to The Guardian. You do have a point, but if you realized what a bunch of tea-sippin' weather-lovin' faux-liberal politically correct student pseudo intellectuals read the Guardian, you probably wouldn't waste your time.

Content of newspapers:
- Horrible things happening to people you will never meet
- Celebrity scandals
- One politican's opinion of another politician
- Some scribbler's opinion of anything.
- comic strips
- sports statistics
- movie times

Now the only value is in the last three, and all three can be found on the web, so why bother?

The Bush government differs from other US administrations only in their level of arrogance/brashness. Every US government has done the exact same thing that Bush is doing, they've just been better talkers, etc.

example: "Two Vietcong prisoners were interrogated on an airplane flying toward Saigon. The first refused to answer questions and was thrown out of the airplane at 3,000 feet. The second immediately answered all the questions. But he, too, was thrown out." (NY Herald Tribune, 04/25/1965) So that was 1965. Wouldn't those two Vietcong prisoners have preferred to have been locked up in a place like Abu Ghraib, or what?

It appears that The Guardian has "apologized" for its "flippant and tasteless" --- (and jocular) ---- call for Bush's assassination.

The final sentence of a column in The Guide on Saturday caused offence to some readers. The Guardian associates itself with the following statement from the writer.

"Charlie Brooker apologises for any offence caused by his comments relating to President Bush in his TV column, Screen Burn. The views expressed in this column are not those of the Guardian. Although flippant and tasteless, his closing comments were intended as an ironic joke, not as a call to action - an intention he believed regular readers of his humorous column would understand. He deplores violence of any kind."

(italics are mine)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/tvradio/story/0,14676,1335307,00.html

Good enough -

I would suggest an assasination as well- however the BUsh admin is a hydra with only it's puppet-head sticking out- so it isn't a good idea-

what needs to happen is a big car-bomb at the next Bildeburger conference-

setAI said:
I would suggest an assasination as well- however the BUsh admin is a hydra with only it's puppet-head sticking out- so it isn't a good idea-

what needs to happen is a big car-bomb at the next Bildeburger conference-

Point of order: please use quotation marks when taking text directly from The Guardian, or any other newspaper.

1. What did *The Guardian* suggest about the assassination of our President?

According to *The Guardian*, they did not suggest or condone the assassination of our President. They were simply reporting on a controversial statement made by a public figure.

2. Why would *The Guardian* even mention the possibility of the President being assassinated?

*The Guardian* is a news organization and it is their responsibility to report on newsworthy events and statements, even if they are controversial or unpopular.

3. Did *The Guardian* face any backlash for their article about the assassination of our President?

Yes, *The Guardian* received criticism for reporting on the controversial statement. However, as a news organization, they have a duty to report on important and newsworthy events, even if they are controversial.

4. Did *The Guardian* apologize for suggesting the assassination of our President?

No, *The Guardian* did not suggest or apologize for the assassination of our President. They were simply reporting on a statement made by a public figure.

5. How should we interpret *The Guardian*'s article about the possibility of the President being assassinated?

It is important to read the article in its entirety and not just focus on one specific statement. *The Guardian* is a reputable news source and it is important to consider the context and intention of their reporting.