Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dielectric Sphere in Electric Dipole

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I am aware that the effects of a dielectric sphere in a uniform electric field have been done in many introductory electromagnetism books.

Is anyone ware of a similar problem where the uniform electric field is replaced by a dipole field?
    Would solving such a problem for the resultant field have an explicit solution?

If anyone could direct me to a resource, or advise me as to how to approach the problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2008 #2

clem

Science Advisor

A dielectric sphere in the field of a point charge is done in advanced textbooks using a Legendre polynomial expansion.
    The sphere in the field of a dipole can be done in a similar manner, but is much more complicated. It is a bit simpler if the sphere is located on the axis of the dipole.
    The dipole field would have to be expanded in LPs about a point on its axis.
    Another approach is to take the result for two charges, +q and -q, a distance d apart.
    Then take the limit as d-->0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?