1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field inside a dielectric sphere with cavity

1. May 9, 2015 #1
    Original Problem:

"A sphere of radius a is made of a nonconducting material that has a uniform volume charge density [PLAIN]http://jkwiens.com/2007/10/24/answer-electric-field-of-a-nonconducting-sphere-with-a-spherical-cavity/d2606be4e0cd2c9a6179c8f2e3547a85_2.gif. [Broken] A spherical cavity of radius b is removed from sphere which is a distance z from the center of the sphere. Assume that a > z + b. What is the electric field in the cavity?"

I understand how to solve an ordinary problem like this, but what if the sphere has dielectric constant ε which is different from the cavity whose permittivity is ε0? When solving this, should I treat the imaginary small sphere with -ρ to have permittivity ε or ε0?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The imaginary sphere has the same material as the sphere around it. Not sure if that influences the result at all.

4. May 9, 2015 #3
    But when I was doing another problem which deals with calculating the self inductance of a toroid with a small gap, whose permeability is μ for the iron part and μ0 for the gap, the answer uses μ0 to calculate the B field in the gap (used "imaginary wire loop")...And the answer is definitely different using ε/ε0 in the sphere case. Still not sure why. Maybe the answer of that problem is wrong...

5. May 9, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

For the toroid magnet, you don't remove something, you treat it as circle with two different materials the whole time. And you don't have a charge distribution as you have here.

6. May 9, 2015 #5
    Woo that makes sense...Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook