1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diff eq - LT Discontinuous Sources HW

1. Aug 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    15whzic.png

2. Relevant equations
    2j495qh.png
    3. The attempt at a solution
    this is my attempt, I figured this would be easier than typing.
    2hhipmq.jpg

any how, I find partial fraction method is so time consuming and very algebraically complicated, is there a trick or another method I could use to make this easier?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Convert ##Y_1(s) = \frac{1}{(s+3)(s-4)(s-8)}## to partial fractions, then multiply by ##5 e^{-9s}## later; better still, find the inverse of ##Y_1(s)## as ##y_1(t)##; the solution is then ##5 u(t-9)y_1(t-9)##.

The partial fractions can be found easily (but still with some algebra) by applying successively the identities
    $$\frac{1}{(s-a)(s-b)} = \frac{1}{a-b} \left[ \frac{1}{s-a} - \frac{1}{s-b} \right] \: \text{if} \; a \neq b$$

4. Aug 10, 2016 #3
    That was so much help
    I used this and worked like miracles for few questions, I was just confused of changing to and from the t-c.

5. Aug 10, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted