How do I inspect the following function

• Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: This problem asks for the slope and y-intercept of z, which can be found by substituting the values of x and y into the equation for z.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

Reading my dif eq. book I came across the statement

"inspection of the functions f(x,y) = xy^(1/2) and partial derivative f with respect to y = x/2y^(1/2) shows that they are continuous in the upper half plane defined by y>0"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how I can plot this on an xy graph at all.

since f(x,y) = xy^(1/2) my hunch is that if x and y are both greater than zero, f(x,y) is going to be positive, and there is nothing to indicate discontinuity..

But I'm still not sure what f(x,y) is and how I can even graph it.. I believe its just a relation and not a function? Idk.

and for partial derivative f with respect to y = x/2y^(1/2) I'm not even sure what to think. I'm in Calc 3 now which covers partial derivatives, and this dif eq class I'm taking only has a max requirement of calc 2 where we haven't seen partial derivatives yet. My teacher told me that I shouldn't worry about it but I have not knowing things, so if anyone could explain how I'm suppose to analyze the two functions I would appreciate it..

Physics news on Phys.org
The function f is from ##\mathbb R^2## to ##\mathbb R##, so it can only be graphed as a 3D graph, ie a curved surface in 3D space. The same applies to its partial derivative wrt y.

andrewkirk said:
The function f is from ##\mathbb R^2## to ##\mathbb R##, so it can only be graphed as a 3D graph, ie a curved surface in 3D space. The same applies to its partial derivative wrt y.

I see. Well I'm going to have to self teach myself calc 3 I guess...thanks for the reply.

I don’t think inspection in this context is meant to mean visual inspection of a graph. Instead, it means inspection of the functional form, combined with basic facts you already know, allows the conclusion, without need to write down a formal proof.

Rijad Hadzic said:
and for partial derivative f with respect to y = x/2y^(1/2) I'm not even sure what to think.
What you wrote here could be interpreted as ##f_y = \frac x 2 y^{1/2}##, probably not what you meant.

In this problem, I believe the meaning of "inspection" is to look at the function, ##f(x, y) = xy^{1/2}## and one of the partials, ##f_y(x, y) = \frac 2 {2y^{1/2}}##, and notice that both of these functions are continuous on the half-plane ##\{(x, y) | y > 0 \}##.

As already noted, you need three dimensions to graph z = f(x, y), but the problem as stated doesn't ask for a graph.

1. What is the purpose of inspecting a function?

The purpose of inspecting a function is to analyze and understand its behavior, inputs, outputs, and any potential issues or errors. This can help with debugging, improving efficiency, and overall understanding of the code.

2. How do I access the function to be inspected?

To inspect a function, you can either access it directly if it is defined in the same file, or you can use a debugging tool or console to access it while the code is running.

3. What are the key elements to look for when inspecting a function?

When inspecting a function, you should look for its name, parameters, return value, and any conditional statements or loops. It is also important to check for any potential errors or inefficiencies in the code.

4. How do I identify and fix errors in a function?

To identify and fix errors in a function, you can use debugging tools or step through the code line by line. Look for any unexpected outputs or errors in the console, and then trace them back to the specific lines of code that may be causing the issue. From there, you can make necessary changes to fix the error.

5. Is it possible to improve the efficiency of a function while inspecting it?

Yes, it is possible to improve the efficiency of a function while inspecting it. By analyzing the code, you may identify areas where the function can be optimized, such as using more efficient algorithms or reducing the number of unnecessary calculations. Making these improvements can help the function run faster and more effectively.