Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Difference b/w Retrorockets & Vernier thrusters

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1
    these two term are different but from photos the two components looks quiet alike..i had done some search but can't grasp ACTUAL difference b/w the two as both are small rocket auxillary nozzles...

by the way I have been able to discover what is in the first photo but can't identify a retro/vernier rocket in the 2nd..help will be appreciated.
    33v2pds.jpg
    34j6hph.jpg

Apart from this have you noticed the difference in color of the nuzzle in first photo...metal choice difference I suppose

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Both retros and verniers are rockets, so they will look generally the same as any other. The difference is what they're designed to do.

Verniers are used for attitude control, so they will generally be low thrust, restartable motors designed to be used throughout a mission. Retros are typically fired once to change an orbit by a large degree.

The nozzles in the picture are likely painted with some sort of ablative material to keep the metal from melting.

4. Jul 15, 2011 #3
    Retros used for deorbital/orbital insertions..ok thnx got it. But verniers used for altitude control???...ths makes no sense in the presence of large primary nozzles which are to take care about altitude. I thing verniers are for orientation control.

5. Jul 15, 2011 #4

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Attitude control, not altitude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook