1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Difference between albedo and emissivity?

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    This has been asked already, but it was either answered incorrectly or I'm just not understanding it right.

I was under the impression that albedo is the ratio of radiation reflected off a body compared to the total incident on that body. Hence black bodies have an albedo of 0 and more white/shiny surfaces have higher albedos.

I thought emissivity = 1-albedo, so, the ratio of radiation absorbed (and therefore emitted) compared to the total incident radiation, because radiation is either reflected or absorbed then emitted, right?

So, according to values on the internet, snow has an albedo of 0.9 (Wikipedia) and an emissivity of 0.969+ (EngineeringToolbox). How does that make sense? How can the radiation emitted and absorbed add up to more radiation than there was in the first place?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2016 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The references are unclear about the specified wavelength range. For example, snow is highly reflective in the visible but highly absorptive in the infrared. In addition, the reflectivity for snow can be highly variable based on grain size. Basically, the two numbers may not be directly comparable:

http://nsidc.org/data/docs/daac/nsidc0066_avhrr_5km/spectra.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted