Difference between an Equation and an Identity?

In summary, an equation expresses an equality for specific values of the variables, while an identity holds true for any values of the variables. An example of an identity is sin^2 x + cos^2 x ≡ 1. This is often denoted by a three-lined symbol. The equation x(x - 1) = x^2 - x and the identity sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1 are commonly found in algebra and trigonometry textbooks.
preekap
Can u guys tell me the difference b/w an Equation and an Identity?

Thx

Mathematics news on Phys.org

I use the terms quite sloppily myself, but it appears that an identity expresses an equality regardless of the values of any variables. So for example,
[tex]x(x - 1) = x^2 - x[/tex]
is an identity, because it is true for any values of x that you plug in. However,
[tex]x(x - 1) = 0[/tex]
is an equation, which only holds when specific values for x are plugged in (called the solutions to the equation).

A more interesting identity than one which is just multiplying out a bracket would be something like

[tex] \sin^2 x + \cos^2 x \equiv 1[/tex]

Note the three lined symbol which one is supposed to use for identities, rather than the = symbol. Of course, this is something that most of us (me included) would use only if it was really necessary to clarify such a point.

^ That's odd, I've covered lots of identities and I've never once seen that in any textbook (nor during the bajillion trig identities I was forced to prove in high school.)

Surely it's the first one you prove/meet, and is merely Pythagoras's theorem.

kts123 said:
^ That's odd, I've covered lots of identities and I've never once seen that in any textbook (nor during the bajillion trig identities I was forced to prove in high school.)

It's not clear whether you are talking about CompuChip's x(x-1)= x2- x or matt grimes' sin2x+ cos2x= 1 but you will find the first in any elementary algebra text and the second in any trigonometry text.

wooosh

I thought he was talking about the 3 line identical equal to symbol.

1. What is the difference between an equation and an identity?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities using an equal sign. An identity, on the other hand, is a mathematical statement that is true for all values of the variables involved.

2. Can an equation also be an identity?

Yes, an equation can also be an identity if it is true for all values of the variables involved. In this case, the equation is considered an identity rather than just a regular equation.

3. How can you tell if an equation is also an identity?

If an equation is true for all values of the variables involved, then it is considered an identity. This can be determined by substituting different values for the variables and checking if the equation remains true.

4. What is an example of an equation that is not an identity?

An example of an equation that is not an identity is y = x + 5. This equation is only true for specific values of x and y, but not for all possible values.

5. Why is it important to understand the difference between an equation and an identity?

Understanding the difference between an equation and an identity is important because it helps us to accurately interpret and solve mathematical problems. Equations and identities serve different purposes in different contexts, so knowing which one is being used is crucial in finding the correct solution.