Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between AP Physics B and AP Physics C?

1. May 8, 2007 #1
    I have a couple questions that I've been wanting to ask. I'm a Grade 10 student at a High School in Canada. Alberta, specifically.

1) My school does not offer the IB program (the Canadian equivalent to the AP program). Therefore, I have decided that I am going to take an online AP Physics course, just for the benefit of learning it. I'm thinking of watching the interactive lessons at http://www.archive.org/details/ap_courses" [Broken]. Then, I want to look at secondary information pertaining to each lesson and find some practice problems.

So, what is the difference between AP Physics B and AP Physics C? And also, which group is each of these aimed at? And, what else do you reccommend I do to learn the material?

2) I'm hoping to get into a high-end North American university, like Harvard, Yale, etc. I have the intelligence needed to do this, but I know there's a lot more to it than that. First of all, which universities would you rate as having the best physics programs, and what are some things I need to do (besides getting excellent grades) to get into a high-end university and do the best I can?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2007 #2
    Descriptions of the AP tests are found at:
    http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/about.html
    Basically B is a course at the algebra/trig introductory college level; C is calculus-based.

but I'll say this -- I don't know that studying for a test alike AP is the best way to learn physics. Is it possible that you can go to a local university or college for physics courses? Then you would have college credit that could transfer similar to how AP exam scores give credit.

Then -- Is it also possible that you could work a summer in a research lab even hospital/industrial? That would look good for college admissions. Also -- for any "top" college admissions now-a-days you need to be a well-rounded student in all subjects with outreach/service/causes, etc.

4. May 14, 2007 #3
    The physics textbook by Robert Giancoli is a nice high level physics book. It might be fun to read through it and do the worked problems. Maybe you can ask a teacher at your school for advice too?

PS - Forget about university for a year and just do stuff you enjoy. You are clearly already obnoxious and pedantic enough to get into Harvard, or at least U of T. There are recipes for getting into the ivy league, but there isn't a recipe for becoming a brilliant physicist or being an interesting person. So just take a pill and go shovel your neighbour's sidewalk.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook