1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between AP Physics B and AP Physics C?

1. May 8, 2007 #1
    I have a couple questions that I've been wanting to ask. I'm a Grade 10 student at a High School in Canada. Alberta, specifically.

1) My school does not offer the IB program (the Canadian equivalent to the AP program). Therefore, I have decided that I am going to take an online AP Physics course, just for the benefit of learning it. I'm thinking of watching the interactive lessons at http://www.archive.org/details/ap_courses. Then, I want to look at secondary information pertaining to each lesson and find some practice problems.

So, what is the difference between AP Physics B and AP Physics C? And also, which group is each of these aimed at? And, what else do you reccommend I do to learn the material?

2) I'm hoping to get into a high-end North American university, like Harvard, Yale, etc. I have the intelligence needed to do this, but I know there's a lot more to it than that. First of all, which universities would you rate as having the best physics programs, and what are some things I need to do (besides getting excellent grades) to get into a high-end university and do the best I can?

Any advice is much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2007 #2
    Descriptions of the AP tests are found at:
    Basically B is a course at the algebra/trig introductory college level; C is calculus-based.

but I'll say this -- I don't know that studying for a test alike AP is the best way to learn physics. Is it possible that you can go to a local university or college for physics courses? Then you would have college credit that could transfer similar to how AP exam scores give credit.

Then -- Is it also possible that you could work a summer in a research lab even hospital/industrial? That would look good for college admissions. Also -- for any "top" college admissions now-a-days you need to be a well-rounded student in all subjects with outreach/service/causes, etc.
  4. May 14, 2007 #3
    The physics textbook by Robert Giancoli is a nice high level physics book. It might be fun to read through it and do the worked problems. Maybe you can ask a teacher at your school for advice too?

PS - Forget about university for a year and just do stuff you enjoy. You are clearly already obnoxious and pedantic enough to get into Harvard, or at least U of T. There are recipes for getting into the ivy league, but there isn't a recipe for becoming a brilliant physicist or being an interesting person. So just take a pill and go shovel your neighbour's sidewalk.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?