1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between dS and ds̄

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    Difference between "dS" and "ds̄"

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/126/skjermbilde20111201kl71.png [Broken]

I often see theorems such as the one above in my coursework, but I do not actually understand the difference between "dS" and "ds̄". I presume, because the latter has a "hat," that the latter also has something to do with vectors. So what's the difference between these two differential distances?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Difference between "dS" and "ds̄"

The dS on the left is a vector, an increment of some vector S (looks sort of like the integral for work). The one on the right has dS as a scalar. The integrand here is the dot product of two vectors, which results in a scalar.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Dec 1, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Difference between "dS" and "ds̄"

[itex] d\vec{S}[/itex] is the vector whose direction is [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] and whose magnitude is [itex] dS [/itex], so, in fact, we have [tex] d\vec{S} = \vec{n} dS. [/tex]

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook