Calculating Flux over the closed surface of a cylinder

In summary: For the mantel, the normal would be \hat{n} = \frac{<x,y,0>}{a} and for the disks, it would be \hat{n} = \frac{<0,0,z>}{b} From those two normal, I can take the dot product of normal with the vector and get the total flux?
HRubss
Homework Statement
Calculate the flux of [tex]\overrightarrow{V} = x\hat{i} + y\hat{j} + z\hat{k}[/tex][tex]\int \overrightarrow{V} \cdot \hat{n} da [/tex] where the integral is to be taken over the closed surface of a cylinder [tex]x^2 + y^2 = a^2[/tex] which is bounded by the place z = 0 and z = b
Relevant Equations
[tex]\int \overrightarrow{V} \cdot \hat{n} da [/tex]
[tex]\int\int ( \overrightarrow{V}\cdot\hat{n} )dS = \int \int \int (\nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{V}) dV[/tex]
I wanted to check my answer because I'm getting two different answers with the use of the the Divergence theorem. For the left part of the equation, I converted it so that I can evaluate the integral in polar coordinates. [tex]\oint \oint (\overrightarrow{V}\cdot\hat{n}) dS = \oint \oint (\overrightarrow{V} \cdot\hat{n}) d\theta dz[/tex]
[tex]x = acos\theta[/tex][tex]y = asin\theta[/tex] [tex]\overrightarrow{V} = <acos\theta, asin\theta,z>[/tex]and [tex]\hat{n} =\frac{\partial r}{\partial \theta} \times \frac{\partial r}{\partial z} [/tex]

After applying the cross product and the dot product, I end up with this integral to evaluate. [tex]\int_{0}^{b}\int_{0}^{2\pi}(a^2cos^2\theta + a^2sin^2\theta + z )d\theta dz[/tex] which gives me [tex](2a^2+b)b\pi[/tex]

When I do the right side of the equation, taking the divergence of V results in this integral. [tex]\int \int \int(3)dV[/tex] and converting it to polar via [tex]dV = rdrdzd\theta[/tex] results in [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{b}\int_{0}^{a}(3r)drdzd\theta [/tex] I finally end up with [tex]3\pi a^2b[/tex]

Is my arithmetic off or am I doing something wrong? Thank you for any responses!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##r## in the definition of ##\hat{n}##? All integrals you calculated are correct, so the mistake did not happen there. I guess the mistake happens when you get to the expression of the first integral. Can't tell because you left out those calculations.

Note that $$\iiint 3dV = 3\iiint dV = 3 \mathrm{volume}(cylinder) = 3 \pi a^2b$$ so there you could have worked a little bit less ;).

You are forgetting the end-caps when doing the surface integral.

It is also not clear to me how you ended up with the ##z## in the integrand of the surface integral. The resulting term is quite clearly incorrect based on dimensional analysis.

Math_QED said:
What is ##r## in the definition of ##\hat{n}##? All integrals you calculated are correct, so the mistake did not happen there. I guess the mistake happens when you get to the expression of the first integral. Can't tell because you left out those calculations.

Note that $$\iiint 3dV = 3\iiint dV = 3 \mathrm{volume}(cylinder) = 3 \pi a^2b$$ so there you could have worked a little bit less ;).

Wow haha, this would've save me more time

Orodruin said:
You are forgetting the end-caps when doing the surface integral.

It is also not clear to me how you ended up with the ##z## in the integrand of the surface integral. The resulting term is quite clearly incorrect based on dimensional analysis.

My apologies, it should be [tex]\overrightarrow{r} = <acos\theta,bcos\theta , z>[/tex] This is from the parametric description of a cylinder.
End caps? My calculus is a bit rusty, its been about 2 years since I've worked on vector calculus.

HRubss said:
This is from the parametric description of a cylinder.
No, that is just the mantle area of the cylinder. The cylinder surface also consists of two discs - the end caps. Without them you do not have a closed surface.

Edit: Also consider my comments about the z term.

Orodruin said:
No, that is just the mantle area of the cylinder. The cylinder surface also consists of two discs - the end caps. Without them you do not have a closed surface.

Oh! I see what you mean. Would I have to add two more flux bounded by a circle to the total flux?

HRubss said:
Oh! I see what you mean. Would I have to add two more flux bounded by a circle to the total flux?
Discs, not circles. Discs are two-dimensional, circles one-dimensional.

Also, see the comment anout the z-term.

Orodruin said:
Discs, not circles. Discs are two-dimensional, circles one-dimensional.

Also, see the comment anout the z-term.

For the mantel, the normal would be [tex]\hat{n} = \frac{<x,y,0>}{a} [/tex] and for the disks, it would be [tex]\hat{n} = \frac{<0,0,z>}{b} [/tex] From those two normal, I can take the dot product of normal with the vector and get the total flux? Sorry if I'm being slow...

1. What is the formula for calculating flux over the closed surface of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating flux over the closed surface of a cylinder is Φ = ∫∫S F · dS, where Φ is the flux, S is the surface of the cylinder, F is the vector field, and dS is the infinitesimal area element.

2. How do you determine the direction of the flux over the closed surface of a cylinder?

The direction of the flux over the closed surface of a cylinder is determined by the orientation of the surface normal vector. The flux will be positive if the surface normal vector and the vector field are pointing in the same direction, and negative if they are pointing in opposite directions.

3. Can you explain the concept of closed surface in the context of calculating flux over a cylinder?

A closed surface is a surface that completely encloses a three-dimensional region. In the context of calculating flux over a cylinder, the closed surface would be the entire surface of the cylinder, including the top and bottom circles, as well as the curved surface.

4. How is the flux over a closed surface of a cylinder affected by the strength of the vector field?

The strength of the vector field affects the flux over a closed surface of a cylinder by determining the magnitude of the flux. The stronger the vector field, the higher the flux will be over the closed surface of the cylinder.

5. What is the significance of calculating flux over the closed surface of a cylinder?

Calculating flux over the closed surface of a cylinder is significant because it allows us to understand the flow of a vector field through a specific region. It is also an important concept in many fields of science and engineering, including fluid mechanics and electromagnetism.