Difference between fluorescent strip and compact fluorescent lamp

In summary, the difference between a fluorescent strip and a compact fluorescent lamp lies in their appearance and size. While a fluorescent strip is a long cylindrical tube, a compact fluorescent lamp is a smaller, twisted or folded tube designed to replace incandescent bulbs. They both operate at mains frequency and can be found in different types and shapes.
moimoi24
I just want to know the difference between fluorescent strip and compact fluorescent lamp... Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hey guys! :smile:

surely someone knows the answer to this?​

moimoi24 said:
I just want to know the difference between fluorescent strip and compact fluorescent lamp... Thanks.
One of them operates the tube at mains frequency.

NascentOxygen said:
One of them operates the tube at mains frequency.

How about in the appearance? how do they differ?

I don't believe they fundamentally necessarily must differ in appearance. But in practice the CF is manufactured to live up to its name, viz., compact. So the tube is small and twisted or folded so it occupies a small volume while keeping a useful length. The result being that the whole assembly is compact enough to replace an ordinary incandescent globe for household lighting.

What country are you in, moimoi24? Have you seen the CF globes that replace 80W incandescents?

NascentOxygen said:
I don't believe they fundamentally necessarily must differ in appearance. But in practice the CF is manufactured to live up to its name, viz., compact. So the tube is small and twisted or folded so it occupies a small volume while keeping a useful length. The result being that the whole assembly is compact enough to replace an ordinary incandescent globe for household lighting.

What country are you in, moimoi24? Have you seen the CF globes that replace 80W incandescents?

i am from the Philippines, thank you so much. i really just get confused between the two.

Hello to the Phillippines. But you didn't answer my second question.

A google search should bring up plenty of pics. (By fluorescent strip I presume you mean the long cylindrical tube that looks like a light sabre. :smile: )

NascentOxygen said:
Hello to the Phillippines. But you didn't answer my second question.

A google search should bring up plenty of pics. (By fluorescent strip I presume you mean the long cylindrical tube that looks like a light sabre. :smile: )

So fluorescent strip is really the long cylindrical tube while the fluorescent lamp is the twisted one?

Honestly i am not familiar with the CF globes that you mention.

Thank you so much for the help...

moimoi24 said:
So fluorescent strip is really the long cylindrical tube while the fluorescent lamp is the twisted one?
I guess strip lighting uses the long cylindrical tubes.
Honestly i am not familiar with the CF globes that you mention.
http://imageshack.us/a/img811/5412/thgooglefriend1.gif Go to google, click on images, and search for: compact fluorescent lamp types

Last edited by a moderator:
come to pf for illumination! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
come to pf for illumination! :smile:
That's worth at least 8. Maybe 8.5 http://imageshack.us/a/img853/3671/thumbsups.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

thank you so much guys...

1. What is the main difference between a fluorescent strip and a compact fluorescent lamp?

The main difference between these two types of lighting is their size and shape. A fluorescent strip is a long, narrow tube that usually hangs from the ceiling, while a compact fluorescent lamp is smaller and can fit into standard light fixtures.

2. Are there any differences in energy efficiency between a fluorescent strip and a compact fluorescent lamp?

Both of these lighting options are more energy-efficient than traditional incandescent bulbs. However, compact fluorescent lamps are typically more energy-efficient than fluorescent strips, as they use less energy to produce the same amount of light.

3. Can a compact fluorescent lamp be used as a replacement for a fluorescent strip?

In most cases, yes. Compact fluorescent lamps are designed to fit into standard light fixtures, so they can usually be used as a replacement for a fluorescent strip. However, it is always best to check the specifications of both the lamp and the fixture to ensure compatibility.

4. Do fluorescent strips and compact fluorescent lamps produce the same type of light?

Yes, both of these types of lighting produce a cool, white light. However, compact fluorescent lamps may have a slightly warmer tone than fluorescent strips, depending on the brand and type.

5. Which type of lighting is more cost-effective in the long run?

Compact fluorescent lamps are generally more cost-effective in the long run, as they have a longer lifespan and use less energy than fluorescent strips. However, the initial cost of a fluorescent strip may be lower, so it is important to consider both factors when making a decision.