Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between Force components using triangle rule and dotproduct

1. Mar 1, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone,
    I have here one important abstract question which makes up some perplexity to my understanding. Attached to this post is one pic of F and two new introduced axes ( u and v ) . Let us for instance not consider them as perpendicular to each other. Now, if I am asked to resolve these forces along u and v USING geometry, I will use the parallelogram rule which will outcome results rather than F cos theta as for the u axis for example. Now, if we want to compute the scalar projection of F along u, we simply can say it is F. unit vector f u which will be F cos theta. However, written in some books, this magnitude is NOT the same as the component of F along u. Why?? To sum up my question, what is the difference between the component of F along any axis using the parallelogram rule and the dot product definition. Sorry for elongating and Thanks to whoever gives me a kind hand.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2014 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hello ehabmozart! :smile:

for the usual coordinates i and j,

F = Fxi + Fyj

where
    Fx = F·i

Fy = F·j

as you've noticed, that doesn't translate into the case of non-perpendicular axes

so instead of "dotting" with the same coordinate, let's "cross" with the other coordinate …
    Fxixj = Fxj

Fyjxi = Fxi

(these are the same as saying that F - Fxi is parallel to j, and F - Fyj is parallel to i, which is what we want)

if you use a general u and v instead of i and j, the formulas now work :wink:

4. Mar 1, 2014 #3
    [QUOTE
    so instead of "dotting" with the same coordinate, let's "cross" with the other coordinate …
    Fxixj = Fxj

Fyjxi = Fxi

(these are the same as saying that F - Fxi is parallel to j, and F - Fyj is parallel to i, which is what we want)

if you use a general u and v instead of i and j, the formulas now work :wink:[/QUOTE]

I am sorry my man, but I honestly understood nothing from these statements. What do you mean for instance by Fyjxi = Fxi[/INDENT] ... Thanks for your time and effort, after all :)

5. Mar 1, 2014 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i and j are the usual symbols for the unit vectors in the x and y directions

so Fx and Fy are Fcosθ and Fsinθ

and Fxi will be the vector with magnitude Fsinθ

6. Mar 1, 2014 #5
    Let's suppose that u and v are not perpendicular, and [itex]\vec{i}_u[/itex] and [itex]\vec{i}_v[/itex] are the unit vectors along the u and v axes respectively. Then the force [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] can be represented by:
    [tex]\vec{F}=F_u\vec{i}_u+F_v\vec{i}_v[/tex]
    If we take the dot product of [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] with respect to [itex]\vec{i}_u[/itex] and [itex]\vec{i}_v[/itex]
    we get
    [tex]\vec{F}\centerdot \vec{i}_u =F_u+F_v(\vec{i}_v\centerdot \vec{i}_u)[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{F}\centerdot \vec{i}_v =F_u(\vec{i}_v\centerdot \vec{i}_u)+F_v[/tex]

If you solve for the components of F in the u-v system, you get:
    [tex]F_u=\frac{(\vec{F}\centerdot \vec{i}_u)-(\vec{F}\centerdot \vec{i}_v)(\vec{i}_v\centerdot \vec{i}_u)}{1-(\vec{i}_v\centerdot \vec{i}_u)^2}[/tex]
    [tex]F_v=\frac{(\vec{F}\centerdot \vec{i}_v)-(\vec{F}\centerdot \vec{i}_u)(\vec{i}_v\centerdot \vec{i}_u)}{1-(\vec{i}_v\centerdot \vec{i}_u)^2}[/tex]

This is the same result you would get using the parallelogram method.

Chet

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  7. Mar 2, 2014 #6
    This is a continuation of my previous post. Let α be the angle between the force and the u axis, and let β be the angle between the force and the v axis. Prove that the results I presented are consistent with the law of sines for the components of the force in the triangle formed by Fu, Fv, and the force (in the parallelogram rule setup).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook