1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between 'hold off' and 'hold on'

1. Nov 25, 2013 #1
    i just wondering what is the difference between 'hold off' and 'hold on' command?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

They both mean to wait before doing something, but I thing in general use, "hold on" means to stop something that you are about to do right now where as "hold off" means to put off for quite a while something that you were going to do sometime soon but not necessarily immediately. That is, "hold on" is a more immediate command.

Also, because of the immediacy, "hold on" is usually said in a more urgent way than "hold off".

So a conversation might go like this:

A: I'm going to shoot that guy right now
    B: WHOA. Hold on!
    A: What, you don't want me to shoot him?
    B: Well, maybe, but let's hold off on that until we find out for sure if he's who we think he is.

4. Nov 26, 2013 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

:rofl:

5. Nov 26, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

eltrinco, in case you don't know, phinds is pulling your leg.

Without any context for where you're seeing these commands, people can't give you a serious answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted