Difference Between Honors and Regular Math Classes

In summary, the individual is not currently in the honors program at their university but is interested in enrolling in honors sections for discrete math and linear algebra classes next fall in order to improve their math skills. However, they are concerned about the difficulty of the classes and being surrounded by peers who are smarter than them. They ask for advice on whether it would be more beneficial to take regular or honors classes, and also mention that they are currently taking a computer science version of discrete math. Others share their experiences with honors courses and offer advice, including the suggestion to take honors courses in the first two years of college to improve later grades.
nickadams
I am not in the honors program at my University but I really want to get good at math so I was thinking about perhaps enrolling in an honors section for the Discrete math and Linear Algebra classes I'll be taking next fall.

It seemed like the greater depth that these classes go would be really helpful for me in reaching my goal of becoming as good at math as I can. However, I'm worried that the greater degree of difficulty and being in a class with peers who are all way smarter than me could actually hinder my development and just lead to me feeling frustrated and lost.

What have you guys' experiences been with honors math classes? Do you think it would be more beneficial for a "non-honors" caliber student to take honors LA and DM or just regular? thanks a lot

EDIT: oh and something else. I am taking a computer science department version of Discrete math this semester so perhaps that would make it more realistic for me to handle the honors DM class? As for LA, I've never seen or done anything with it so that may be a bad idea

Physics news on Phys.org
it depends on the school

I've been to two different colleges and I have done an honors course in both. They are very different from each other. My first one was kinda of unofficial where we mostly had to do an extra paper/presentation and harder tests. On average you had to work about a third harder than normal to get an A. In the other college, the course was built from the ground up to give a very good grounding for the rest of their college experience and was probably twice as hard as a normal class. Not only that, but the requirements to get into that class were to have a very good comprehension of previous classes; not just getting a B or C, but an A or A+ so you could keep up in the honors course.

I know at my school the honors sequence is much more difficult. The honors sequence of calculus and LA is entirely proof oriented and the topics of the courses are different.

Thanks for the responses guys, those were very helpfulIf I am trying to get into grad school eventually do you think it would be better for me to get Bs or maybe even a C or 2 in honors courses or As and Bs in regular? I feel like honors classes would make me a better mathematician but they might hurt my GPA too much. :/

Any advice on what I should do for next semester would be appreciated!

Any advice on me deciding w

Usually honors courses are done in the first two years of a four year education. That being said, I have heard that getting good grades on your last two years is more important than if you did bad on the fist two, since it shows you have improved. Knowing this, doing a few honors courses in the beginning, even if you get a few C's, should really help you further along your education and make getting A's easier in the last two years of your education.

transphenomen said:
Usually honors courses are done in the first two years of a four year education. That being said, I have heard that getting good grades on your last two years is more important than if you did bad on the fist two, since it shows you have improved. Knowing this, doing a few honors courses in the beginning, even if you get a few C's, should really help you further along your education and make getting A's easier in the last two years of your education.

I never thought about that; that is a really good point. I will keep that in mind, thanks transphenomen

1. What is the main difference between honors and regular math classes?

The main difference between honors and regular math classes is the level of rigor and difficulty. Honors classes are designed for students who have a strong aptitude and interest in math, and they cover more advanced topics at a faster pace than regular classes.

2. Will taking honors math classes give me an advantage in college?

Taking honors math classes can provide you with a strong foundation in math and critical thinking skills that will be beneficial in college. Additionally, many colleges look for students who have challenged themselves with honors courses, so it can also improve your college application.

3. How do honors math classes differ in terms of grading?

Honors math classes typically have higher grading standards compared to regular classes. This is because the material covered in honors classes is more advanced and requires a deeper understanding and application of concepts. Additionally, honors classes may have more challenging assignments and exams.

4. Can I switch from regular math to honors math in the middle of the school year?

It is possible to switch from regular math to honors math in the middle of the school year, but it may depend on the policies of your school. It is recommended to speak with your teacher and guidance counselor to discuss your options and ensure that you are prepared for the higher level of difficulty in honors classes.

5. Will taking honors math classes be too overwhelming for me?

While honors math classes may be more challenging, they are designed for students who have a strong interest and aptitude in math. If you are interested in pursuing a math-related field or enjoy learning about math, then honors classes may be a good fit for you. It is important to manage your time and ask for help when needed to avoid feeling overwhelmed.