Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Difference between note, tone and mode

1. Sep 26, 2016 #1
    In physics, wave mechanics and vibration specifically, do the terms note, tone and mode mean the same thing or do they refer to difference things? Also what does the mode of oscillation exactly mean?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think those are physics terms, they are music terms. Physics terms are frequency, amplitude, wavelength, etc.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  4. Sep 26, 2016 #3
    I am asking the difference between them from a physics perspective.

5. Sep 26, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

They are still music terms.

6. Sep 26, 2016 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

IIRC a "tone" in music is a pure frequency in physics. A "note" produced by a musical instrument, e.g. by plucking a string, is a complex superposition of pure tones: the fundamental and its various overtones. Their relative amplitudes determine the "timbre" of the sound which distinguishes the various instruments. A "mode" in music is a type of "scale" (sequence of allowable notes). This is different from a "mode" in physics, which usually means a "mode of vibration" or "mode of oscillation", i.e. a particular standing-wave pattern on a string, drumhead, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted