1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between nucleus and nuclide

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the different between nucleus and nuclide?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Initially, i think that they mean the same things but now i know it isn't
    so i am seeking for answer
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2
    The nucleus is the central part of an atom comprising protons and neutrons tightly bound together by strong nuclear forces.
    Meanwhile, a nuclide is a species of atom characterised by the composition of its nucleus. For example, we can refer to carbon-12 as a nuclide.
  4. Feb 15, 2010 #3
    I still don't know when to use nucleus or nuclide..
    Can the word "nucleus" replace "nuclide"?
  5. Feb 15, 2010 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are not the terms defined in one's textbook?

The nucleus is the central part of the atom in which the nucleons (protons and neutrons) reside. The nucleus and the surrounding atomic electrons for an atom. As was previously mentioned, nuclide refers to a species of atom, primarily with respect to it's nuclear properties rather than its chemical properties.
  6. Feb 15, 2010 #5
    Definition of "nucleus" is given but no definition for "nuclides" in the textbook.

One of the sentences from the book :"The heavy stable nuclides have more neutrons than protons"

Before I know there exists the term "nuclides", I would write:
    "The heavy stable nucleus have more neutrons than protons"
  7. Feb 16, 2010 #6

Homework Helper

I think nuclide is the synonym for isotope atom. The atoms of hydrogen, deuterium and tritium form three different nuclides of the element "hydrogen" as all of them have one proton in the nucleus, but different number (0, 1, 2) neutrons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook