Difference between Schools in Canada and US

In summary, most people believe that the US schools are superior to Canadian schools, but it's not like the difference is drastic.
MushroomPirat
Hello everyone,

I'm currently a Grade 11 IB student living in BC Canada. For the last few years, it has been my goal to get into a good American university. I'm thinking of going into some sort of engineering in university (electrical or mechanical, or both!) However, for the past month, I've been hearing that generally, undergrad in most places is about the same, and there's not a big difference between good Canadian and American universities. I was hoping I could get a few opinions about this.

How much different is an education at a good Canadian university compared to a good American university?
Would it be an advantage to have a bachelors from America if I plan on going to grad school in America?
How often does a student get a job right after getting a bachelors, at say... UBC?

Also, by 'good' Canadian universities, I mean schools like Waterloo, UofT, McGill, and UBC; and the American ones (I'm not saying that I'll get into these): MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
MushroomPirat said:
Hello everyone,

I'm currently a Grade 11 IB student living in BC Canada. For the last few years, it has been my goal to get into a good American university. I'm thinking of going into some sort of engineering in university (electrical or mechanical, or both!) However, for the past month, I've been hearing that generally, undergrad in most places is about the same, and there's not a big difference between good Canadian and American universities. I was hoping I could get a few opinions about this.

How much different is an education at a good Canadian university compared to a good American university?
Would it be an advantage to have a bachelors from America if I plan on going to grad school in America?
How often does a student get a job right after getting a bachelors, at say... UBC?

Also, by 'good' Canadian universities, I mean schools like Waterloo, UofT, McGill, and UBC; and the American ones (I'm not saying that I'll get into these): MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley, etc.

Thanks for your help!

You are comparing the Ivy with Canada's best, I think it is quite easy to say that all those American Universities are superb.

I suggest Waterloo or McGill if you are going into Engineering, UBC and UofT are good choices too.

I know that I'm comparing Ivy's with Canada's best, but I was wondering HOW MUCH better the ivys are in the long run. I understand there is going to be a better program overall, with better professors, and a more competitive environment, but how does it compare with Canada's top universities?

Also, thanks for your suggestions!

When I was applying to university (this year) Canada's "top" universities were my safety schools (I got into them) but I got rejected from the US (MIT Stanford etc). I mean those universities (by the way none of the ones named are ivy league) IMO are much better, not that you will have a bleak future in Canada but its a different league with a different culture, and that culture makes all the difference.

I am going to go to UofT for physics and maths so even though I couldn't make it to MIT I am not too sad because nevertheless these are good schools and if I study enough and if I am determined enough I can still go to the states for grad school and hopefully make up whatever I may have lost here in Canada and hopefully even make use of some advantages I may have.

I know I'm sending some mixed signals but basically aim for the stars, you'll at least make it to the moon.

Thanks for your input!

I basically have the same mindset as you - aim for the top US schools, but don't get too sad if I don't get in.

Hmm... Could I get a few more opinions on this? I know that most people are going to say that the US schools are superior, but is the difference between them THAT drastic? This was the way I thought for a long time (that US schools are far better than Canadian schools), but I've just been recently wondering if that is the case in reality, or is it just some sort of mentality that parents and kids in high school have?

Thanks for your input, everyone!

What are the main differences between schools in Canada and the US?

The main differences between schools in Canada and the US include the grading system, school curriculum, and funding. In Canada, the grading system is based on percentages while the US uses the letter grade system. Additionally, the school curriculum in Canada is more standardized across the country, while in the US it varies between states. Lastly, the funding for schools in Canada is primarily provided by the government, while in the US it is a mix of government funding and local property taxes.

How do the school schedules differ between Canada and the US?

The school schedules in Canada and the US differ in terms of length and start dates. In Canada, the school year typically runs from September to June, with a two-week break in December and a one-week break in March. In the US, the school year starts in late August or early September and ends in May or June, with shorter breaks throughout the year.

What are the differences in teaching styles between schools in Canada and the US?

The teaching styles in Canada and the US may vary depending on the individual school and teacher. However, in general, Canadian schools tend to have a more collaborative and student-centered approach to learning, while US schools may have a more traditional and teacher-centered approach.

Do schools in Canada and the US have different extracurricular activities?

Both Canadian and US schools offer a variety of extracurricular activities such as sports teams, music and art clubs, and academic clubs. However, the types of activities offered may differ between schools and regions.

How does the cost of education compare between Canada and the US?

The cost of education in Canada and the US can vary greatly depending on the school and level of education. Generally, public schools in Canada are more affordable than public schools in the US, while private schools in both countries can be quite expensive. Additionally, post-secondary education in Canada tends to be more affordable compared to the US due to government subsidies.