1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between Two Vectors, Spherical Coordinates

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm doing a problem that involves expressing, for two arbitrary vectors [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{x'}[/itex],

[tex]|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|[/tex]

in spherical coordinates ([itex]\rho,\theta,\phi[/itex]).

2. Relevant equations

Law of Cosines:

[tex]c^{2}=a^{2}+b^{2}-2ab\cos\gamma[/tex]

where [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the angle between a and b.

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the law of cosines, we can write

[tex]|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|=(\rho^{2}+\rho'^{2}-2\rho\rho'\cos\gamma)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

but I can't figure out what the angle between the vectors [itex]\gamma[/itex] would be. I imagine a plane formed by the two vectors, and the angle being between the two vectors in that plane. How I describe this mathematically, though, is confusing. Can anyone push me in the right direction?

EDIT:
    Alright, I took a new approach. I decided to express the difference in Cartesian coordinates, and then convert to spherical coordinates. In doing so, I get:

[tex]|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|=(\rho^{2}+\rho'^{2}-2\rho\rho'[\sin\theta\sin\theta'(\cos\phi\cos\phi'+\sin\phi\sin\phi')+\cos\theta\cos\theta'])^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

which gives me the [itex]\gamma[/itex] I was looking for. It would be nice if there were an easy way to simply that, though...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Usually, you are free to orient your coordinate system as you choose, and so a good choice is often to orient it such that [itex]\vec{x'}[/itex] points in the z-direction and hence [itex]\theta'=0[/itex] and you get a much simpler expression:

[tex]|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|=\rho^{2}+(\rho ')^{2}-2\rho\rho ' cos \theta[/tex]

4. Nov 8, 2008 #3
    That's useful a point.

In the larger problem that this is for, a rigid body (described by f(x')) is rotating around a particular axis with angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex] - so I am restricted to making the z-axis parallel to [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex]. Hence, the most general expression is required.

5. Nov 8, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In that case, I think the most you can do to simplify is to use the trig Identity [itex]\cos (\phi -\phi ')=\cos \phi \cos \phi '+\sin \phi \sin\phi '[/itex]

6. Nov 8, 2008 #5
    Right! Working it out right now. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?