Difference between Two Vectors, Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the problem involves finding the expression for the magnitude of the difference between two arbitrary vectors in spherical coordinates. The law of cosines is used to write the expression, but the angle between the vectors is unknown. Another approach is taken by expressing the difference in Cartesian coordinates and then converting to spherical coordinates. Finally, it is mentioned that the choice of coordinate system can simplify the expression.
Higgy

Homework Statement

I'm doing a problem that involves expressing, for two arbitrary vectors [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{x'}[/itex],

[tex]|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|[/tex]

in spherical coordinates ([itex]\rho,\theta,\phi[/itex]).

Homework Equations

Law of Cosines:

[tex]c^{2}=a^{2}+b^{2}-2ab\cos\gamma[/tex]

where [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the angle between a and b.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the law of cosines, we can write

[tex]|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|=(\rho^{2}+\rho'^{2}-2\rho\rho'\cos\gamma)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

but I can't figure out what the angle between the vectors [itex]\gamma[/itex] would be. I imagine a plane formed by the two vectors, and the angle being between the two vectors in that plane. How I describe this mathematically, though, is confusing. Can anyone push me in the right direction?

EDIT:
Alright, I took a new approach. I decided to express the difference in Cartesian coordinates, and then convert to spherical coordinates. In doing so, I get:

[tex]|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|=(\rho^{2}+\rho'^{2}-2\rho\rho'[\sin\theta\sin\theta'(\cos\phi\cos\phi'+\sin\phi\sin\phi')+\cos\theta\cos\theta'])^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

which gives me the [itex]\gamma[/itex] I was looking for. It would be nice if there were an easy way to simply that, though...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, you are free to orient your coordinate system as you choose, and so a good choice is often to orient it such that [itex]\vec{x'}[/itex] points in the z-direction and hence [itex]\theta'=0[/itex] and you get a much simpler expression:

[tex]|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|=\rho^{2}+(\rho ')^{2}-2\rho\rho ' cos \theta[/tex]

gabbagabbahey said:
Usually, you are free to orient your coordinate system as you choose, and so a good choice is often to orient it such that [itex]\vec{x'}[/itex] points in the z-direction and hence [itex]\theta'=0[/itex] and you get a much simpler expression:

[tex]|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|=\rho^{2}+(\rho ')^{2}-2\rho\rho ' cos \theta[/tex]

That's useful a point.

In the larger problem that this is for, a rigid body (described by f(x')) is rotating around a particular axis with angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex] - so I am restricted to making the z-axis parallel to [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex]. Hence, the most general expression is required.

In that case, I think the most you can do to simplify is to use the trig Identity [itex]\cos (\phi -\phi ')=\cos \phi \cos \phi '+\sin \phi \sin\phi '[/itex]

Right! Working it out right now. Thanks.

1. What are vectors and how are they different from scalar quantities?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction. Scalar quantities, on the other hand, only have magnitude and no direction.

2. How are vectors expressed in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, a vector is expressed in terms of its magnitude, inclination angle, and azimuth angle. The magnitude is represented by the length of the vector, the inclination angle is the angle between the vector and the positive z-axis, and the azimuth angle is the angle between the projection of the vector onto the xy-plane and the positive x-axis.

3. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector in spherical coordinates?

The magnitude of a vector in spherical coordinates is given by the formula √(r² + θ² + φ²), where r is the magnitude of the vector, θ is the inclination angle, and φ is the azimuth angle.

4. Can you convert a vector from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

Yes, you can convert a vector from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ) using the formulas r = √(x² + y² + z²), θ = cos⁻¹(z/√(x² + y² + z²)), and φ = tan⁻¹(y/x).

5. What is the relationship between spherical coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

Spherical coordinates and Cartesian coordinates are two different systems for representing points in three-dimensional space. The relationship between them is given by the formulas x = r sinθ cosφ, y = r sinθ sinφ, and z = r cosθ, where x, y, and z are the coordinates in Cartesian coordinates, r is the magnitude of the vector, θ is the inclination angle, and φ is the azimuth angle.