1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference in Physics Career Fields

1. Oct 26, 2014 #1
    I am 15 and in high school and recently there has been a big push in our school system to decide on your career now. For the past 7 years I have had it in my mind to become a nuclear physicist. Now, however, I can not decide on what physics field to go into. I can not choose between nuclear, astro or theoretical physics. In the past I have read over career descriptions but what would the career actually be like? Words are often forged to play on the beliefs of others and I wish to know what really occurs at the job sites.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2014 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The school system cannot force you to make a specific choice now. The system could at best, make you TRY to make a BROAD DECISION as soon as possible so that you have a sense of direction; and you MUST be allowed to explore along that direction and change your mind.

4. Oct 27, 2014 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's great that you have a deep interest in physics.

For the most part the education path that most physicists follow beyond high school is a bachelor's degree in physics. After that, you specialize in graduate school when you start working towards a PhD. That's where you would be deciding between nuclear physics, astrophysics, etc. Students make that decision by (in no particular order):
    - taking senior undergraduate physics courses in a number of different sub-fields
    - participating in research projects through summer jobs, volunteering, or through senior/thesis projects in their fourth year of under grad
    - reading
    - talking and sharing experiences with other undergraduates
    - talking with professors, post-doctoral fellows, and graduate students
    - and even trial and error.

There are lots of threads around about what a physicist actually does. The specifics vary from specialty to specialty. There are also lots of threads about how difficult it is to get a job in academia. The moral of the story, usually, is to make sure you have a backup plan for your career, as most people who get a PhD in physics don't end up as professors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook