Difference in Physics Career Fields

In summary, there has been a recent push in the school system for students to decide on their careers now, but this decision should not be forced and students should be allowed to explore different options. For those interested in pursuing a career in physics, the typical education path includes a bachelor's degree followed by specialization in graduate school. Making a decision on which sub-field to focus on can be done through various methods such as taking courses, participating in research, and talking with others. It is important to have a backup plan for a physics career as it can be difficult to secure a job in academia.
James_Roy
I am 15 and in high school and recently there has been a big push in our school system to decide on your career now. For the past 7 years I have had it in my mind to become a nuclear physicist. Now, however, I can not decide on what physics field to go into. I can not choose between nuclear, astro or theoretical physics. In the past I have read over career descriptions but what would the career actually be like? Words are often forged to play on the beliefs of others and I wish to know what really occurs at the job sites.

Physics news on Phys.org
The school system cannot force you to make a specific choice now. The system could at best, make you TRY to make a BROAD DECISION as soon as possible so that you have a sense of direction; and you MUST be allowed to explore along that direction and change your mind.

It's great that you have a deep interest in physics.

For the most part the education path that most physicists follow beyond high school is a bachelor's degree in physics. After that, you specialize in graduate school when you start working towards a PhD. That's where you would be deciding between nuclear physics, astrophysics, etc. Students make that decision by (in no particular order):
- taking senior undergraduate physics courses in a number of different sub-fields
- participating in research projects through summer jobs, volunteering, or through senior/thesis projects in their fourth year of under grad
- reading
- talking and sharing experiences with other undergraduates
- talking with professors, post-doctoral fellows, and graduate students
- and even trial and error.

There are lots of threads around about what a physicist actually does. The specifics vary from specialty to specialty. There are also lots of threads about how difficult it is to get a job in academia. The moral of the story, usually, is to make sure you have a backup plan for your career, as most people who get a PhD in physics don't end up as professors.

1. What are the main career fields in physics?

Some of the main career fields in physics include astrophysics, atomic and molecular physics, condensed matter physics, particle physics, and biophysics.

2. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental physics?

Theoretical physics involves using mathematical models and equations to explain and predict the behavior of physical phenomena. Experimental physics involves conducting experiments to gather data and test theories and hypotheses.

3. How do I choose a career path in physics?

Choosing a career path in physics often depends on your interests and strengths. Consider exploring different areas of physics through coursework, internships, and research opportunities to find what aligns with your skills and passions.

4. What are the job prospects for different physics career fields?

The job prospects for different physics career fields vary, but overall, physicists are in high demand in industries such as technology, healthcare, and energy. It is important to stay up-to-date on the latest advancements and technologies in your chosen field to remain competitive in the job market.

5. Can I switch between different physics career fields?

While it may require additional education or training, it is possible to switch between different physics career fields. Many skills and knowledge acquired in one field can be transferable to another, and having a diverse background can make you a more well-rounded and desirable candidate for certain positions.