1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differences between the 3 Halliday textbooks

1. Aug 10, 2008 #1
    What are the differences between the 3 books below? Are they all pretty much the same? I wanted the text that would serve well for independent study for General Physics I and II and with not just plug-and-chug problems.

What is "extended" in that edition compared to the regular edition?

In reading posts, I've heard that getting the 1st or 2nd edition would be good (I don't know if that refers to the text with Krane as the third author or the book with Walker as the third author.)

Physics, 5th Edition
    by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Kenneth S. Krane
    Volume 1 ISBN: 978-0-471-32057-9
    Volume 2 ISBN: 978-0-471-40194-0

Fundamentals of Physics, 8th Edition, Regular Edition
    David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Jearl Walker
    ISBN: 978-0-470-04472-8

Fundamentals of Physics Extended, 8th Edition
    David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Jearl Walker
    ISBN: 978-0-471-75801-3

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2
    Can't go wrong with Halliday, Resnik, & Walker. Some problems can be quite challenging, though there will be some plug and chug.

I haven't worked with the Krane text, but I have heard good things.

As for the edition, I have the fourth and seventh editions of HRW and many of the problems are exactly the same, and the older one only cost me 20$ with a student study guide.

The extended is if your Gen. Physics course contains a third or fourth term on modern physics, but normally professors use a different text for modern and it is normally a separate course outside of gen. physics...it's really not worth the extra cash for the extended, pick up tipler's modern text or Renik's quantum text instead for the last few chapters of HRW.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?