Different answers: integral table vs trig identity solutions

In summary, the problem involves using iterated integrals in polar form to find the area of a rose-shaped curve. The solution manual and the student's solution both arrive at the same point, but the solution manual uses a trig identity while the student uses an integral table, resulting in two different answers. After further examination, the student realizes that they used the integral table incorrectly and corrects their mistake.
kostoglotov
EDIT: I figured out my mistake...no option to delete silly post. Oh well.

1. Homework Statement

The problem is: use iterated integrals in polar form to find the area of one leaf of the rose-shaped curve r = cos(3*theta).

My setup agrees exactly with the solutions manual...but then something weird happens.

The solution manual and I both get to the same point, but then the solutions manual solves it with a trig identity, and I use the integral tables in the back...two different answers are arrived at. After looking through it again and again, I cannot find a calculation error.

I will begin where my solution and the solution manual's solutions diverge.

[tex] \int_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\cos^2{3\theta} \ d\theta = 2 \int_{0}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1+\cos{6\theta}}{2}\right) d\theta;]

[tex] 2 \int_{0}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1+\cos{6\theta}}{2}\right) d\theta = \frac{1}{2}\left[\theta + \frac{1}{6}\sin{6\theta}\right]_{0}^{\pi/6} = \frac{\pi}{12};]

No problem, I can see how all that works.

Homework Equations

I used the integral table in the back that gives

[tex] \int \cos^2{u} \ du = \frac{1}{2}u + \frac{1}{4}\sin{2u} + C ;]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using this I get

[tex] \int_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\cos^2{3\theta} \ d\theta = \frac{1}{2} \left[\frac{3\theta}{2} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{6\theta}\right]_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \left[\frac{3\theta}{2} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{6\theta}\right]_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} = \frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{\pi} - \frac{-\pi}{4} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{\pi}\right] = \frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{\pi}{4}\right][/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{\pi}{4}\right] = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\pi}{12} \neq \frac{\pi}{4} [/tex]

What is going on? Am I just too tired to see where I've made some minor mistake??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kostoglotov said:

Homework Statement

The problem is: use iterated integrals in polar form to find the area of one leaf of the rose-shaped curve r = cos(3*theta).

My setup agrees exactly with the solutions manual...but then something weird happens.

The solution manual and I both get to the same point, but then the solutions manual solves it with a trig identity, and I use the integral tables in the back...two different answers are arrived at. After looking through it again and again, I cannot find a calculation error.

[; \int_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\cos^2{3\theta} \ d\theta = 2 \int_{0}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1+\cos{6\theta}}{2}\right) d\theta;]

[; 2 \int_{0}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1+\cos{6\theta}}{2}\right) d\theta = \frac{1}{2}\left[\theta + \frac{1}{6}\sin{6\theta}\right]_{0}^{\pi/6} = \frac{\pi}{12};]

Homework Equations

[; \int \cos^2{u} \ du = \frac{1}{2}u + \frac{1}{4}\sin{2u} + C ;]

Using this I get

[; \int_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\cos^2{3\theta} \ d\theta = \frac{1}{2} \left[\frac{3\theta}{2} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{6\theta}\right]_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} ;]

[; \frac{1}{2} \left[\frac{3\theta}{2} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{6\theta}\right]_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} = \frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{\pi} - \frac{-\pi}{4} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{\pi}\right] = \frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{\pi}{4}\right];]

[; \frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{\pi}{4}\right] = \frac{\pi}{4};]

[; \frac{\pi}{12} \neq \frac{\pi}{4} ;]

What is going on? Am I just too tired to see where I've made some minor mistake??

Please edit your post to make it readable; use "[t e x] ... tex-expressions.. [/t e x]" (no spaces in the word tex) instead of "[; ...tex -expressions... ;]"

For example, here is your first equation when done that way (but I did not feel like doing all the others).

[tex] \int_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\cos^2{3\theta} \ d\theta = 2 \int_{0}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1+\cos{6\theta}}{2}\right) d\theta [/tex]

Ray Vickson said:
Please edit your post to make it readable; use "[t e x] ... tex-expressions.. [/t e x]" (no spaces in the word tex) instead of "[; ...tex -expressions... ;]"

For example, here is your first equation when done that way (but I did not feel like doing all the others).

[tex] \int_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\cos^2{3\theta} \ d\theta = 2 \int_{0}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1+\cos{6\theta}}{2}\right) d\theta [/tex]

Strange, I'm seeing normal Tex markup...must be TexTheWorld Plugin I use on Chrome. I thought I could copy paste from Reddit, but I guess not. Good to know.

I also figured out the mistake...u-sub for 3*theta...just rusty and a little weary. I was truly confused though. Thanks for taking the time.

kostoglotov said:
Strange, I'm seeing normal Tex markup...must be TexTheWorld Plugin I use on Chrome.
Before you edited your post you used [; and ;] as the delimiters. These might work with the plugin you're using, but they don't work here.

You can use [t e x] and [/t e x] as Ray suggested for standalone LaTeX, but I find it more convenient to use a pair of $ characters at the start and another pair at the end. For inline LaTeX, I use a pair of # characters at each end. This is easier than typing [i t e x] and [/ i t e x].

Likes kostoglotov
kostoglotov said:
EDIT: I figured out my mistake...no option to delete silly post. Oh well.

1. Homework Statement

[tex] \int_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\cos^2{3\theta} \ d\theta = 2 \int_{0}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1+\cos{6\theta}}{2}\right) d\theta;]

[tex] 2 \int_{0}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1+\cos{6\theta}}{2}\right) d\theta = \frac{1}{2}\left[\theta + \frac{1}{6}\sin{6\theta}\right]_{0}^{\pi/6} = \frac{\pi}{12};]

Homework Equations

[tex] \int \cos^2{u} \ du = \frac{1}{2}u + \frac{1}{4}\sin{2u} + C ;]

Using this I get

[tex] \int_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\cos^2{3\theta} \ d\theta = \frac{1}{2} \left[\frac{3\theta}{2} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{6\theta}\right]_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} [/tex]
You are using that formula incorrectly. The formula is for [itex]\int \cos^2(u)du[/itex] and you have [itex]\int\cos^2(3\theta) d\theta[/itex]. You could take [tex]u= 3\theta[/tex] but then [tex]du= 3 d\theta[/tex]. So you need to "multiply and divide" the integral by 3:
[tex]\int cos^2(3\theta)d\theta= \frac{1}{3}\int cos^2(3\theta)(d(3\theta))[/tex].

Now, you can use that formula.

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \left[\frac{3\theta}{2} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{6\theta}\right]_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} = \frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{\pi} - \frac{-\pi}{4} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{\pi}\right] = \frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{\pi}{4}\right][/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{\pi}{4}\right] = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\pi}{12} \neq \frac{\pi}{4} [/tex]

1. What is an integral table and how is it used?

An integral table is a table that lists the integrals of commonly used functions. It is used to quickly find the integral of a function without having to go through the process of solving it using integration techniques. It is a helpful tool for saving time in solving integrals and is commonly used in mathematics and physics.

2. How are trigonometric identities used to solve integrals?

Trigonometric identities are used to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. By using these identities, the integral can be rewritten in a form that is easier to solve or that can be solved using a different integration technique. Some common trigonometric identities used in integration include the double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

3. Are the solutions obtained from an integral table and trigonometric identities always the same?

No, the solutions obtained from an integral table and trigonometric identities may not always be the same. This is because using an integral table involves using a pre-determined value, while using trigonometric identities involves manipulating the integral algebraically. However, both methods will result in a valid solution to the integral.

4. In what situations would it be better to use an integral table over trigonometric identities?

It would be better to use an integral table over trigonometric identities when the integral involves a complex function or when the integral is difficult to solve using traditional integration techniques. In these situations, using an integral table can save time and effort in finding the solution.

5. Can I use both an integral table and trigonometric identities to solve an integral?

Yes, it is possible to use both an integral table and trigonometric identities to solve an integral. This can be especially helpful when the integral involves both simple and complex functions. By using both methods, it is possible to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.