1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different answers: integral table vs trig identity solutions

1. Apr 16, 2015 #1
    EDIT: I figured out my mistake...no option to delete silly post. Oh well.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is: use iterated integrals in polar form to find the area of one leaf of the rose-shaped curve r = cos(3*theta).

My setup agrees exactly with the solutions manual...but then something weird happens.

The solution manual and I both get to the same point, but then the solutions manual solves it with a trig identity, and I use the integral tables in the back...two different answers are arrived at. After looking through it again and again, I cannot find a calculation error.

I will begin where my solution and the solution manual's solutions diverge.

[tex] \int_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\cos^2{3\theta} \ d\theta = 2 \int_{0}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1+\cos{6\theta}}{2}\right) d\theta;]

[tex] 2 \int_{0}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1+\cos{6\theta}}{2}\right) d\theta = \frac{1}{2}\left[\theta + \frac{1}{6}\sin{6\theta}\right]_{0}^{\pi/6} = \frac{\pi}{12};]

No problem, I can see how all that works.

2. Relevant equations

I used the integral table in the back that gives

[tex] \int \cos^2{u} \ du = \frac{1}{2}u + \frac{1}{4}\sin{2u} + C ;]

3. The attempt at a solution

Using this I get

[tex] \int_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\cos^2{3\theta} \ d\theta = \frac{1}{2} \left[\frac{3\theta}{2} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{6\theta}\right]_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \left[\frac{3\theta}{2} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{6\theta}\right]_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} = \frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{\pi} - \frac{-\pi}{4} + \frac{1}{4}\sin{\pi}\right] = \frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{\pi}{4}\right][/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{\pi}{4}\right] = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\pi}{12} \neq \frac{\pi}{4} [/tex]

What is going on? Am I just too tired to see where I've made some minor mistake??

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please edit your post to make it readable; use "[t e x] ... tex-expressions.. [/t e x]" (no spaces in the word tex) instead of "[; ...tex -expressions... ;]"

For example, here is your first equation when done that way (but I did not feel like doing all the others).

[tex] \int_{-\pi/6}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\cos^2{3\theta} \ d\theta = 2 \int_{0}^{\pi/6} \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1+\cos{6\theta}}{2}\right) d\theta [/tex]

4. Apr 16, 2015 #3
    Strange, I'm seeing normal Tex markup...must be TexTheWorld Plugin I use on Chrome. I thought I could copy paste from Reddit, but I guess not. Good to know.

I also figured out the mistake...u-sub for 3*theta...just rusty and a little weary. I was truly confused though. Thanks for taking the time.

5. Apr 16, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Before you edited your post you used [; and ;] as the delimiters. These might work with the plugin you're using, but they don't work here.

You can use [t e x] and [/t e x] as Ray suggested for standalone LaTeX, but I find it more convenient to use a pair of $ characters at the start and another pair at the end. For inline LaTeX, I use a pair of # characters at each end. This is easier than typing [i t e x] and [/ i t e x].

6. Apr 17, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are using that formula incorrectly. The formula is for [itex]\int \cos^2(u)du[/itex] and you have [itex]\int\cos^2(3\theta) d\theta[/itex]. You could take [tex]u= 3\theta[/tex] but then [tex]du= 3 d\theta[/tex]. So you need to "multiply and divide" the integral by 3:
    [tex]\int cos^2(3\theta)d\theta= \frac{1}{3}\int cos^2(3\theta)(d(3\theta))[/tex].

Now, you can use that formula.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted