1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different results with quotient rule

1. May 26, 2013 #1
    I have been trying to figure out the derivative of (X²-1)/X. When I use the quotient rule, the result I get is 1-1/X². However, when I simplify the expression first, then take the derivative, I get 1+1/X²

Why are the results different?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2013 #2
  4. May 26, 2013 #3
    Can you show how you evaluate it? I tried both ways, but get different results.

5. May 26, 2013 #4
    Alright, for a function
    [tex]f(x) = \frac{g(x)}{h(x)}[/tex]
    the quotient rule says
    [tex]f'(x) = \frac{g'(x)h(x)-g(x)h'(x)}{h^2(x)}[/tex]

In your case, [itex]g(x)=x^2-1[/itex] and [itex]h(x)=x[/itex]. Thus [itex]g'(x)=2x[/itex] and [itex]h'(x)=1[/itex]. Then you get
    [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{dx}}\frac{x^2-1}{x}=\frac{2x\cdot x - \left( x^2 -1 \right) \cdot 1}{x^2}=\frac{2x^2-x^2+1}{x^2}=1+\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]
    Are you sure you included the [itex]g'(x)[/itex] term?

Simplifying first,
    [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{dx}}\frac{x^2-1}{x} = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{dx}} \left( x - \frac{1}{x} \right) = 1- \frac{-1}{x^2}=1+\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]

6. May 26, 2013 #5
    Where did +1 come from when you were multiplying x²-1 with 1?

7. May 26, 2013 #6
    It was also multiplied by -1, from the quotient rule formula.

8. May 26, 2013 #7
    I'm sorry for asking so many questions, and this may sound stupid, but, what -1?

Edit: It appears as though I have made a mistake. The -1 is the minus part that is in front of the x²-1, so the negative, or minus, distributes itself.

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it.

9. May 26, 2013 #8
    You see the minus sign in front of [itex]\left( x^2 -1 \right) \cdot 1[/itex], right? That is just short notation for

[tex]- \left( x^2 -1 \right) \cdot 1=\left( -1 \right) \cdot \left( x^2 -1 \right)= (-1) \cdot x^2 + (-1) \cdot (-1) = -x^2+1[/tex]

Agreed? Or are you pulling my leg here?

EDIT: Ah, good. I was almost giving up for a while there.

10. May 26, 2013 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the formula for the quotient rule.

If h(x) = x, what is h'(x)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted