Differentiability and convergence.

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if f:(a,infinity)-->R is differentiable and f(x)-->A and f '(x)-->B as x-->infinity, then B=0. The mean value theorem is used to show that as x becomes large, f'(x) must become very small, leading to the conclusion that B=0. The conversation also provides a step-by-step explanation of the proof using the MVT.
math8
Let f:(a,infinity)-->R (reals) be differentiable and let A and B be real numbers. Prove that if f(x)-->A and f '(x)-->B as x --> infinity, then B=0.

I would guess that the mean value theorem may be needed but I am not sure how to use it considering that we're dealing with x --> infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no such number as 'infinity' to put into the mean value theorem, sure. But if f(x)->A then clearly f'(x) must become very small as x becomes large, right? Write down the definition of f(x)->A, f'(x)->B. It means there is some number N such that for all x>N etc etc. Pick an interval in the range x>N and apply the MVT. Just TRY it.

Last edited:
by drawing, I do understand what's going on, but writing the proof I get confused, this is what I've got so far:
f(x)-->A means for e>0 given, there is some number N such that for all x>N, we have |f(x)-A|<e
f '(x)-->B means there is some number M such that for all x>M, we have |f '(x)-B|<e

Now I let (x1,x2) C (N, inf.), f diff, and continuous, MVT applies and we get some z in (x1,x2) such that f(x2)-f(x1)/(x2-x1)=f '(z)
Now z > N implies that |f(z)-A|< e.

Now I don't see how to proceed :(

Ok. Pick an N big enough that both |f(x)-A|<e and |f'(x)-B|<e for x>N. Let's just look at the interval [N,N+1]. |f(N+1)-f(N)|<2e, right? MVT says there is a c in [N,N+1] such that f'(c)=f(N+1)-f(N). But |f'(c)-B|<e. Do you see where this is going?

oh yeah, |f'(c)-B|<e, so -e<f'(c)-B<e but f'(c)=f(N+1)-f(N)<2e, hence B<f'(c)+e<3e.
Thus, since e was arbitrary, B=0.

Right. |B|<3e. All you have to do is fix on some definite interval to apply the MVT.

right, thanks a lot.

What is differentiability?

Differentiability is a mathematical concept that describes the smoothness of a function. A function is said to be differentiable at a point if it has a well-defined derivative at that point. This means that the function has a unique slope at that point, and thus, is smooth at that point.

What is the difference between differentiability and continuity?

Differentiability and continuity are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. Continuity refers to a function being unbroken or having no gaps, while differentiability refers to the smoothness of a function. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, but it cannot be differentiable without being continuous.

What is the significance of differentiability in calculus?

Differentiability is an important concept in calculus because it allows us to determine the slope of a function at any given point. This, in turn, enables us to calculate the rate of change of a function, which is essential in many real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is meant by "convergence" in mathematics?

Convergence is a term used to describe the behavior of a sequence or series of numbers. It refers to the tendency of the terms in the sequence or series to approach a specific value as the number of terms increases. When the terms of a sequence or series approach a specific value, we say that the sequence or series has converged.

How can we determine if a sequence or series is convergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine if a sequence or series is convergent. These include the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests involve comparing the given sequence or series to a known convergent or divergent sequence or series, or using algebraic manipulations to simplify the given sequence or series and determine its behavior as the number of terms increases.