1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiability and convergence.

1. Jan 10, 2009 #1
    Let f:(a,infinity)-->R (reals) be differentiable and let A and B be real numbers. Prove that if f(x)-->A and f '(x)-->B as x --> infinity, then B=0.

I would guess that the mean value theorem may be needed but I am not sure how to use it considering that we're dealing with x --> infinity.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's no such number as 'infinity' to put into the mean value theorem, sure. But if f(x)->A then clearly f'(x) must become very small as x becomes large, right? Write down the definition of f(x)->A, f'(x)->B. It means there is some number N such that for all x>N etc etc. Pick an interval in the range x>N and apply the MVT. Just TRY it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  4. Jan 10, 2009 #3
    by drawing, I do understand what's going on, but writing the proof I get confused, this is what I've got so far:
    f(x)-->A means for e>0 given, there is some number N such that for all x>N, we have |f(x)-A|<e
    f '(x)-->B means there is some number M such that for all x>M, we have |f '(x)-B|<e

Now I let (x1,x2) C (N, inf.), f diff, and continuous, MVT applies and we get some z in (x1,x2) such that f(x2)-f(x1)/(x2-x1)=f '(z)
    Now z > N implies that |f(z)-A|< e.

Now I don't see how to proceed :(

5. Jan 10, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. Pick an N big enough that both |f(x)-A|<e and |f'(x)-B|<e for x>N. Let's just look at the interval [N,N+1]. |f(N+1)-f(N)|<2e, right? MVT says there is a c in [N,N+1] such that f'(c)=f(N+1)-f(N). But |f'(c)-B|<e. Do you see where this is going?

6. Jan 10, 2009 #5
    oh yeah, |f'(c)-B|<e, so -e<f'(c)-B<e but f'(c)=f(N+1)-f(N)<2e, hence B<f'(c)+e<3e.
    Thus, since e was arbitrary, B=0.

7. Jan 10, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. |B|<3e. All you have to do is fix on some definite interval to apply the MVT.

8. Jan 10, 2009 #7
    right, thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?