Differentiability of a function

In summary, the function f is defined as f = 0 if xy = 0 and f = xysin(1/xy) if xy ≠ 0. The differentiability of this function was studied, with conflicting results at the point (0,0). However, upon further analysis, it is determined that the function is indeed differentiable at (0,0) and not at any other point on the x- and y-axes. The function is also shown to be continuous and the limit at (0,0) is found to be 0.
Felafel

Homework Statement

I have the function f, defined as follows:
f=0 if xy=0
f= ##xysin(\frac{1}{xy})## if ##xy \neq 0##

Study the differentiability of this function.

The Attempt at a Solution

there are no problems in differentiating the function where ##xy\neq0##.
the partials in (0,0) are both zero.
If i consider xy as a single variable i get from the definition of differential that:
##\lim_{xy \to 0} \frac{f(xy)-f(0)-\nabla f(0)(xy)}{\sqrt{(xy)^2-0}}##=##\lim_{xy \to 0} \frac{xy sin(1/xy)}{xy}## doesn't exist

On the other hand, if i consider x,y separately i get:
##\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{f(x,y)-f(0,0)-\nabla f(0,0)(x,y)}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}##=##\lim_{xy \to 0} \frac{xy sin(1/xy)}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}=0## and thus the function is differentiable even when x,y are 0.

these two results are conflicting. what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The results are not conflicting. The existence of the partial derivatives is not sufficient to have a differentiable function.

mfb said:
The results are not conflicting. The existence of the partial derivatives is not sufficient to have a differentiable function.

yes, i know that, but ny problem is that the differential doesn't exist if i consider xy as a single variable, but it does if i consider x and y separately, please look at the two different applications of the definition of differentiability i wrote

I don't think that the partial derivatives exist (except trivially for x = 0 and y = 0). E.g.

[itex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}}|_{(0,y)} \ = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\frac{xysin(\frac{1}{xy})}{x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0}ysin(\frac{1}{xy})[/itex]

Which doesn't exist.

should I deduce than that it is differentiable only in (0,0)?

Yes, it's differentiable at (0, 0) but nowhere else on the x- and y-axes.

Felafel said:
yes, i know that, but ny problem is that the differential doesn't exist if i consider xy as a single variable, but it does if i consider x and y separately, please look at the two different applications of the definition of differentiability i wrote
You did not use the definition of differentiability in (x,y) at all. If the function would be differentiable at (0,0), both derivative attempts would have to work. They do not, showing your function is not differentiable at that point.

Last edited:
Why is the function not differentiable at (0,0)?

This post (and #11 and #13) is wrong, see post 15

It is not even continuous.

Consider (x,y)=(h,h) with h≠0. Then ## f(h,h)=h^2 \sin(\frac{1}{h^2}) > h^2 \frac{1}{2h^2} = \frac{1}{2}## using sin(x)>x/2 for small x>0.
Clearly the limit for ##h \to 0## cannot be 0, but f(0,0) is zero.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about [itex]sin(x) > 1/(2x)[/itex] given that [itex]|sin(x)| \le 1[/itex]

As (x, y) -> (0,0), [itex]\frac{xy}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} → 0[/itex]

PeroK said:
I'm not sure about [itex]sin(x) > 1/(2x)[/itex] given that [itex]|sin(x)| \le 1[/itex]
I don't see the connection of your global upper bound to my local lower bound (valid at least up to pi/2).
Plot

I should have specified x>0 in "sin(x)>1/(2x) for small x", but that is not an issue as h^2 is always positive (I edited it in my previous post now).

As (x, y) -> (0,0), [itex]\frac{xy}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} → 0[/itex]
Where does the denominator come from?

Ok, so take x = 0.1:

1/2x = 1/0.2 = 5

And sin(anything) can't possibly be > 5

Sorry, my mistake. I meant sin(x)>x/2 (for 0<x<pi/2). The plot and the application to calculate the limit were correct.

mfb said:
It is not even continuous.

Consider (x,y)=(h,h) with h≠0. Then ## f(h,h)=h^2 \sin(\frac{1}{h^2}) > h^2 \frac{1}{2h^2} = \frac{1}{2}## using sin(x)>x/2 for small x>0.
Clearly the limit for ##h \to 0## cannot be 0, but f(0,0) is zero.

[itex]\lim_{h→0}h^2 \sin(\frac{1}{h^2}) = 0[/itex]

If h is getting small and |sin| is bounded by 1, then that limit must be zero, surely?

[itex]1/h^2[/itex] is getting very large, not very small

You are right, the function is differentiable. Sorry for the confusion.

I really need that free weekend now...

thank you very much :)

What is differentiability of a function?

Differentiability of a function is a mathematical concept that determines whether a function has a well-defined derivative at a certain point. Essentially, it measures the smoothness of a function at that point.

How is differentiability related to continuity?

In order for a function to be differentiable at a certain point, it must also be continuous at that point. This means that the limit as x approaches the point from both the left and right sides must exist and be equal.

What does it mean for a function to be differentiable on an interval?

If a function is differentiable at every point within an interval, it is considered to be differentiable on that interval. This means that the derivative of the function exists at every point within that interval.

What is the difference between differentiability and smoothness?

Differentiability measures the smoothness of a function at a specific point, while smoothness refers to the overall behavior of a function. A function can be differentiable at certain points, but not necessarily smooth.

How can I determine if a function is differentiable at a certain point?

In order for a function to be differentiable at a certain point, it must meet the following criteria: it must be continuous at that point, and the limit as x approaches the point from both the left and right sides must exist and be equal. Additionally, the function must have a well-defined slope, or derivative, at that point.