Differentiability of function at only 0

In summary: So, in summary, the function is only differentiable at 0 if x is rational, and is not continuous anywhere except at x=0.
helpmeppl
1. function is x^2 if x is rational 0 if x is irrational. I need to prove that function is only differentiable at 0.
2. f'(x)=lim(h->0)=(f(x+h)-f(x))/h
3. fruitless attempt-----> So f'(0)=lim(h->0) f(h)/h=lim(h->0)x since it's 0 when irrational and x when rational, 0 when irrational, x=0. thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
attempt attempt! I'm only letting you know ahead of time b/c when someone who can actually help you reads your post and sees no attempt, they'll say the same thing I'm telling you right now. so I'm saving you time :-]

helpmeppl said:
1. function is x^2 if x is rational 0 if x is irrational. I need to prove that function is only differentiable at 0.

2. f'(x)=lim(h->0)=(f(x+h)-f(x))/h
This is, indeed, the expression for the function value of f' at some particular value x.
Insofar as if it exists.

How, in particular, does it look if x=0?

That is, how must f'(0) look like?

IF f'(0) exists, then, since f(0)=0, we must have:
[tex]f'(0)=\lim_{h\to{0}}\frac{f(h)}{h}[/tex]

Now, to make some headway:
Consider a sequence of RATIONAL numbers h converging upon 0; what is the limit of f(h)/h then? Does such a limit exist?

Make a similar converging sequence consisting solely of irrationals h. What is now the limit of f(h)/h?

Can you conclude anything from this?

that proves that the function is differentiable when x=0, but how can i prove that that's the only x that satisfies f's differentiability. thanks.

for the proof that it's only differentiable at 0, can proving that the function is not continuous everywhere except zero sufficient?

helpmeppl said:
for the proof that it's only differentiable at 0, can proving that the function is not continuous everywhere except zero sufficient?
Certainly; a function cannot be differentiable at any point upon which it is discontinuous.

This follows from the fact that the numerator in the limit expression for the derivative MUST go to zero in order for the fraction not to diverge.

But that the numerator must go to zero, i.e [tex]\lim_{h\to{0}}f(x+h)-f(x)=0[/tex] is equivalent to requiring the function to be continuous at x.

1. What is differentiability of a function at only 0?

Differentiability of a function at only 0 means that the function is continuous at 0 and has a well-defined slope (derivative) at that point.

2. How is differentiability at only 0 different from differentiability at other points?

Differentiability at only 0 means that the function may not be differentiable at any other point. This is because the function may have a sharp turn or corner at 0, making it non-differentiable at other points.

3. Can a function be differentiable at only 0 but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be differentiable at only 0 if it is not continuous at that point. Differentiability requires continuity at the point of interest.

4. What does the graph of a function look like if it is differentiable at only 0?

The graph of a function that is differentiable at only 0 may have a sharp turn or corner at 0, but it will be smooth and continuous everywhere else. The slope of the function at 0 will be well-defined, but it may be undefined at other points.

5. How can we determine if a function is differentiable at only 0?

To determine if a function is differentiable at only 0, we can use the limit definition of the derivative. If the limit of the difference quotient exists and is finite as x approaches 0, then the function is differentiable at only 0. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then the function is not differentiable at only 0.