Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential drag on a cup anemometer

1. Feb 18, 2009 #1
    If differential drag on a four cup anemometer causes its rotation, how does one calculate the differential drag on a specific size cup and with a specific wind velocity assuming the wind is constant and in the same horizontal plane as the four cups.?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3
    thanks for the link. It got me started in the right direction.

5. Feb 21, 2009 #4
    okay, The drag coefficeint is clear. If however I slice half of the cup off with a vertical cut and blank the end, so I really have a 1/4 sphere with a flat plate at the end of the cup, does the differential Cd remain the same for a relative wind perpendicular to the 1/4 cup vs the 1/4 sphere. Or does if change and only depend on the surface area of the 1/4 cup and 1/4 sphere?
    Remember that shape matters!

6. Feb 21, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An open cup is around CD of 1.42, closed side is only 0.38.
    http://www.windpower.org/en/tour/wtrb/drag.htm [Broken], the area is the same - so the force is just the area * the difference in Cd

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Feb 22, 2009 #6
    Knowing that the CD for an open cup is 1.42 and the closed side 0.38, is the CD for a 1/2 cup the same as a whole cup or does the CD change due to the different shape. If it changes would it be expected to change by a very small amount say < 0.05 or something larger like 0.10.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook