1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential drag on a cup anemometer

1. Feb 18, 2009 #1
    If differential drag on a four cup anemometer causes its rotation, how does one calculate the differential drag on a specific size cup and with a specific wind velocity assuming the wind is constant and in the same horizontal plane as the four cups.?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3
    thanks for the link. It got me started in the right direction.

5. Feb 21, 2009 #4
    okay, The drag coefficeint is clear. If however I slice half of the cup off with a vertical cut and blank the end, so I really have a 1/4 sphere with a flat plate at the end of the cup, does the differential Cd remain the same for a relative wind perpendicular to the 1/4 cup vs the 1/4 sphere. Or does if change and only depend on the surface area of the 1/4 cup and 1/4 sphere?
    Remember that shape matters!

6. Feb 21, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An open cup is around CD of 1.42, closed side is only 0.38.
    http://www.windpower.org/en/tour/wtrb/drag.htm [Broken], the area is the same - so the force is just the area * the difference in Cd

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Feb 22, 2009 #6
    Knowing that the CD for an open cup is 1.42 and the closed side 0.38, is the CD for a 1/2 cup the same as a whole cup or does the CD change due to the different shape. If it changes would it be expected to change by a very small amount say < 0.05 or something larger like 0.10.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook